LA 200 use on horse??

Help Support CattleToday:

cowspider

Reaction score
ever use LA 200 on a horse?? doe's it work?? how much would I use? I have an old horse(30yrs.) he has a abcess in his front hoof, I opened it and drained it. I thought maybe a shot may help. :cboy:

Not sure about its use on horses but I had an old dog one time that got down and was bad sick. Couldn't get up on his own and I was sure he was all but dead. Hit him with a dose of LA200 and that afternoon he was gone. Not dead but gone. I searched the surrounding pastures for his body but never found him. Still to this day don't know what happened to him.

Man he was a good dog though. ;-)

LA-200 is not recommended for horses, I can't tell you why, but one thing it creates a burning sensation when injected.

I wouldn't use LA200 for a hoof abcess; you'd be better off with 10-14 days on Penicillin or Sulfa drugs. I use the SMZ/TMP tablets. Sulfamethoxole-Trimethoprim, I believe.

That said, oxytet CAN be used on horses -- I've seen my vet use it before. No idea on the dose.

For a horse, use Biomycin, instead of LA200 -- Biomycin's the only one with a no-sting carrier and you'll get a real reaction out of the horse if you use the generic stuff.

Stings on cows too, BTW, only we don't care as much what a cow in the chute thinks. :p

No you can not use La200 on horses. they cant absorb it like cattle it will make a nasty abcess where you give the shot and it can sterilize the gut. Saw it on a stud horse once, while I was getting some mares preg checked, the horse had three abcesses, two on one side and one on the other, where the guy gave it the shots.the horse belonged to the man's son, the son was in collage. The guy didn't know any better, and I didn't either till I saw this at the vet

You CAN use lA 200 in horses.
Plumb's veterinary drug book cites 5-10 mg per kg IV twice daily for susceptable infections.
I often use 20 mg per kg (4.5 cc per 100 lbs) once IV as a first line of treatment for horses with minor respiratory infections in cases where I cannot retreat (herds, wild, etc) easily.
Now realise that Oxytetracycline sometimes has photosensitivity associated with it's use and (rarely) can cause blood dyscrasias in horses above and beyond any allergic reaction.
Give very slowly as oxytet binds (chelates) calcium and if given too quickly can cause trembling or even collapse.
BTW We also use IV oxytet at 3-4g per foal IV in cases of flexor tendon contracture because of the calcium chelating effects.
Also check frequently by aspiration of blood into the syringe to make sure you are in the vein because the tissue reactions can be quite marked as was mentioned above.
Finally, I don't know what happened to that poor guys dog. I have never heard of LA200 completely removing a dog before.

I totally agree with rross. Give penicillan for a week and 5 cc's and then move down to 4, 3, 2, and 1 and then take him off. That's what we've done with my 5 month old colt whose gotten hurt three times since the day he was born. You do not want to give a horse too much penicillan because after a while they become very, very used to it and they will no longer react to it. My best opinion, get your vets opinion. They should know!

Latest posts