KY Poison oak/ivy

Help Support CattleToday:

Our son is immune to poison ivy....
A new neighbor just posted on FB that she used vinegar on her poison ivy and it made the itching stop...Next time I get it, i'm going to try it..

Don't count on being immune forever, I used to be could walk barefoot thru it. Not anymore.

danl":1dfpnac1 said:
Don't count on being immune forever, I used to be could walk barefoot thru it. Not anymore.
I was with a woman who is a high school science teacher.. We were looking at a tree in her grandparents yard that she said was the largest in our area. While looking at it, I reached for a vine and she screeched it was poison ivy and then went on to tell me how allergic she is of it. I pointed out that it was Virginia creeper. She said she knew what poison ivy looked like and all she has to do is look at it and she is covered.
I always find it interesting that some people are so afraid of it that everything is poison ivy and they are the most allergic as a person can get. I don't understand the fear of it. I've been covered where my skin fell off, not blister, but fell off. But, I just avoid it, although it covers the ground here. I can brush against it and break out a few days later. I can get it rubbed on me and I break out that day. What would one consider, "very allergic" to it. To me it would be suffocation from my airway being cut off from swelling. But breaking out in a blistery rash, that's pretty normal for poison ivy..
My son and father in law are both immune. Their body oils are very different than my husbands and mine. Their skin is oily, I think this is what protects them.

Best way I get rid of it fast.... If it hasn't spread much past my hands.. I wash my hands in the sink keeping my hands soapy,and water running..I take a shaving razor and scrap the blisters off.. All the while with the water still running over my hands...I hit it with rubbing alcohol.pat them dry...then apply the calamine lotion.. Works every time...

danl":2jh8ndqh said:
That's what I've always worried about. Never know when it's going to be one time too many

dun":1t89fvlw said:
danl":1t89fvlw said:
That's what I've always worried about. Never know when it's going to be one time too many

My wife had always said that it didn't bother her, but then last year while we were patching and cleaning out around some road front fence, she pulled up a vine. She had blisters over most of her body within a few days, it got into her bloodstream as well, and has had some flare ups a couple of times months later. She had such a time with it that she is very afraid of it now and goes to great lengths to avoid it. I was cutting some away from a tree in the yard and she had me to wash tools used with dish soap.

Ky hills":2czs8av2 said:
dun":2czs8av2 said:
danl":2czs8av2 said:

My wife had always said that it didn't bother her, but then last year while we were patching and cleaning out around some road front fence, she pulled up a vine. She had blisters over most of her body within a few days, it got into her bloodstream as well, and has had some flare ups a couple of times months later. She had such a time with it that she is very afraid of it now and goes to great lengths to avoid it. I was cutting some away from a tree in the yard and she had me to wash tools used with dish soap.
I think what happens to people who think they aren't allergic is they've just never been in it. I know so many people who think Virginia creeper is poison ivy, like the 'science' teacher who thought it was. My son and FIL, I've seen them handle it and they get nothing. Its really hard not to come in contact with it here. Any animal you have will have it all over them. THe ground is literally covered in it. Daughter got it off her pet deer.....
The worst time I got it was during the winter and I was treasure hunting with my metal detector. I was in a spot where there use to be a house and I got a good ping. I dug and dug in a clear spot, so I thought. THe roots I was digging around did not belong to the tree, but was poison ivy roots, no leaves. SO, I know for a fact you can get it from the roots just as bad as you can from the leaves. Lost all the skin off my arms, looked like I had been chemical burned....

eating it hasnt killed me yet but thats not to say it wouldnt kill someone else, im a logger and im in poison ivy all summer crawling through it topping trees and i dont get it

MtnCows93":3vs99zp5 said:
eating it hasnt killed me yet but thats not to say it wouldnt kill someone else, im a logger and im in poison ivy all summer crawling through it topping trees and i dont get it
My son and FIL have very oily skin. Its the type that will leave a black haze on things like hand rails or steering wheels, if you know what i'm saying. They are the only ones who do this on machinery steering wheels here, and the only ones who are immune to poison ivy...

Latest posts