KY Poison oak/ivy

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
For those of you living in Ky and surrounding states, do we have both poison oak, ivy, and other similar vegetation?

I ask because I've been looking at some plant identifications lately, and what I and everyone that I know calls poison oak matches Virginia Creeper. When I actually Googled poison oak and ivy, they don't look particularly familiar.

M-5":tq7lrlvs said:
Poison oak is different. Virgina creeper and posion ivy are very similar
BIggest difference visually is the number of leaves. 3 for PI 5 for VC, the leaves are also a little separate on ivy

its the sumac you have to watch out for. .it'll look lik ea tree in brush and you'll get it all over you without knowing it.

I also get it very easily but have figured out that swimming in a pool is the best cure. Chlorine dries it up relatively fast.

ALACOWMAN":1mdx97d6 said:
dun":1mdx97d6 said:
M-5":1mdx97d6 said:
Poison oak is different. Virgina creeper and posion ivy are very similar
BIggest difference visually is the number of leaves. 3 for PI 5 for VC, the leaves are also a little separate on ivy
leaves of three, leave it be
That would be the stuff. My wife and I can swim in the stuff and never have an issue. But get near smartweed and we get rashes.

dun":1c2x5fqy said:
ALACOWMAN":1c2x5fqy said:
dun":1c2x5fqy said:
That would be the stuff. My wife and I can swim in the stuff and never have an issue. But get near smartweed and we get rashes.

Cows love the smartweed here and I have lots of it. Did not know people get rashes from it. Im in it all the time around the ponds usally barefooted.

M-5":1hzpsuvc said:
dun":1hzpsuvc said:
ALACOWMAN":1hzpsuvc said:

Cows love the smartweed here and I have lots of it. Did not know people get rashes from it. Im in it all the time around the ponds usally barefooted.
It;s feels like stinging nettles but the rash persists a lot longer.

dun":31m51ckq said:
M-5":31m51ckq said:
dun":31m51ckq said:

I lernt something new today. stinging nettles burn me but it goes away quick. They make a clear blister on my wife tho. Every spring she tells me to roundup the whole place.

M-5":168n3vef said:
dun":168n3vef said:
M-5":168n3vef said:

I lernt something new today. stinging nettles burn me but it goes away quick. They make a clear blister on my wife tho. Every spring she tells me to roundup the whole place.
Got a neighbor lady that if she gets exposed to spiny pigweed she looks like she has chicken pox. Poison ivy doesn;t phase her but smartweed just itches.

you can eat a poison ivy leaf and become immune to getting it, i just eat a small leaf a day for a week in the spring and i havent had it in a long time

MtnCows93":rm0cohjt said:
you can eat a poison ivy leaf and become immune to getting it, i just eat a small leaf a day for a week in the spring and i havent had it in a long time
Or you can breath the smoke from it dried being burned and spend 6 months in the hospital

MtnCows93":2xtxp047 said:
My wife had a cousin try that and it almost killed him.
ddd75":2xtxp047 said:
its the sumac you have to watch out for. .it'll look lik ea tree in brush and you'll get it all over you without knowing it.
never had a problem with sumac maybe because we use to chew them little salty berries it has. Old timers use to say if you had a bed wetter they could eat them sumac berries and they would stop wetting the bed. We kept a young pre teen boy that was a foster child he would eat them trying to help but it never helped, his problem was probably his nerves from what he had been through before he came to live with us

Latest posts