KY BULL TEST

Help Support CattleToday:

Briar Ridge Angus

Reaction score
Are there any? Where are they? How do you get your bulls there, is it an invitation or can you just pay to enter them?

Some out of KY go to UT test in Spring Hill TN. You have to sign them up mid summer, take them Sept sale is early Jan. Dates to sign up and drop them off could have changed some.

What is the point of a bull test? They do BSE i am sure. They do gain tests also? Offer the option to sell them at their sale or bring them home?

Years ago there was a bull test and the sale was held in Paris, but haven't heard of any in recent years. Maybe your county extension agent could advise you if there are currently any around.

Cinch

There Are several reasons we send Bulls to the test, one of them is to get a comparison of our genetics against both other Angus operations as well as other breeds. Don't get me wrong I don't put bulls in the test to win, it isn't an ego thing, I do want a real world comparison of how my genetics perform against other progressive breeders. We develop Bulls here at home as well and use test gains to compare gains we get on the farm. They do offer a sale at the end of the test so a marketing opportunity for those that choose to use it. Name recognition for your farm or ranch is another reason. They do ultra sound measurements as well as a BSE. We do a BSE on all bulls sold off the farm but do not do ultra sound. We do DNA testing on all of our Bulls so have opted to use that data in lieu of actual ultra sound data. Bull test should be used as a tool to help you improve your individual operation.

Gizmom

There`s also the IBEP bull test station Purdue University has in Southern Indiana near Bedford.

Latest posts