kuhn cutter

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
fixing to swing a deal on a new 9ft kuhn cutter.they have real good deals on them right now.thats going tobe a switch from a krone cutter.going to use the 7040 for the cutter tractor.

Kuhn makes a good machine. My wife's grandfather pulls an 8ft Kuhn with his 6800 and really likes it. He says it does good on more level spots, but gives his tractor all it wants on hills. Id say your land lays a lot better than ours tho .

yes ours is most flat.and even if your on a hill its not that bad.ended up going back to a krone cutter.we know the krone is good.plus it was $750 cheaper than the kuhn.going to pull it with the 7040.

Do either of those brands have high skid hoes available? We had a Kuhn -made New Holland about 20 years ago to try but traded it back for a sickle bar haybine because it cut the stubble so short plus was hard for Dad to hook up by himself.I am sure they have improved.
Also aren't some easier to work on or less apt to foul the whole machine if something happens?

well we ended up going back to the krone 283 because it was $800 cheaper.but the main reason was we had ran the 283 krone from 93 till 2000.the only thing i didnt like about the krone was the slipp clutch.as it could stick from sitting up.

JW IN VA":gz1b23ey said:
Do either of those brands have high skid hoes available? We had a Kuhn -made New Holland about 20 years ago to try but traded it back for a sickle bar haybine because it cut the stubble so short plus was hard for Dad to hook up by himself.I am sure they have improved.
Also aren't some easier to work on or less apt to foul the whole machine if something happens?

The lift type mower can be adjusted for cutting height by screwing the top link in or out, in for shorter stubble and out for longer stubble. It would seem that the pull behind mowers would also have that feature.

I'll be going with a drum mower next go around. Just helped my brother fix his NH disc cutter and it was not an easy job. Had a Kuhn but you didn't dare try right angle speed turns on a 6800 or you risk breaking a wheel spindle. I had it happen twice on my 2WD. Leave those corners and come back and get them after the field is done and save some headaches.

here the caddy cost $3500.we leave the corners till we get through cutting the whole field.then cut them going straight.

you guys lift for every corner?

I have one but i never lift it unless i'm backing up. seems to do just fine. maybe i need to start though

I'm cutting hay and when you lift your not cutting. But I'm spoiled because of my trail mower.
But if you don't have a caddy or trail mower, your living in the dark.

JW IN VA":xoalgfpt said:

Kuhn has the skid shoes, I just purchased a pair. Looks to raise the cutter bar about 2 inches higher than the stock shoes.

bigbull338":3sta6md5 said:
well we ended up going back to the krone 283 because it was $800 cheaper.but the main reason was we had ran the 283 krone from 93 till 2000.the only thing i didnt like about the krone was the slipp clutch.as it could stick from sitting up.

Brought a 283 home last week. Have It hooked up waiting on a dry spell now. This is the first 9ft cutter I've had. Hope I don't tear down too many phone lines. :roll:

dont worry you will get used to it.we leave the cutter down and cutting when we turn the corners.

Can't tell you anything about them as my experience is limited to hooking it up to the tractor, but you might want to check with Abington equipment. They were $600 cheaper than anyone else around here.

well 1 thing you need to check is the slipp clutch and the bonnets.the last time i heard they was like $110ea to replace if needed.check the tarpas well as the skid boots.look at the cutter bar to see how rusty it is if any.

Latest posts