Kubota RTV X 900 opinions ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
After looking at several options I`ve pretty much decided on getting a Kubota RTV X 900 to use here on the farm. I don`t want anything that goes too fast so the kids don`t get hurt and we won`t take it on the road so I think it will serve the purpose and be a real upgrade over the 2001 Yamaha 4 wheeler I`ve used all these years. I`m sure some of you have these so just wondering how you like them. Have any of you installed the coast valve ? Do they really help take away the sudden stop of the hydrostat transmission ?

never heard of the coast valve.. I like how mine stops.. I can't even remember the last time I used the brake.

I have RTV X 900 ..

The only thing mine needed was the throttle / transmission linkage adjusted to give it some more power. real simple to do. trans is a little tuff to change sometimes.. the old ones had a valve you pulled that worked a really good.. the newer ones you push the brake in all the way.. but it doesn't relieve it very well. I just tap the gas lightly and on the down rev you can shift it easily. you have to watch other people in it because they'll try to break your transmission lever pushing it as hard as they can.. like idiots. i don't let anyone touch mine ..

its tuff all around.. you'll hardly use your quad after having a nice bed to put everything in.

I like mine and can't imagine being without it. Being diesel is always available and the Kubota sips fuel is a big deal for us. The only problem we've had is the front drive shaft wears out in a 1k hours, and the noise of the diesel engine is loud. Otherwise it's been bullet proof and we tow a trailer loaded with 4 bales of hay almost every day throughout the winter with it.
Why Kubota changed the transmissions from 3 speeds to 2 in the new models is beyond me? And it's the only reason we haven't bought another one.

Brute 23":1vkr96h0 said:
I'm not a Kubota fan. They are rough, heavy, expensive, less capable, and no more debendable than most other brands.

Im not a fan of ford or chevy but people still drive them for some unknown reason. Kubotas are built for work just like the mules. sure they are not as flashy as the rest but some folks dont have to impress the neighbors.

Brute 23":hc188clu said:
I'm not a Kubota fan. They are rough, heavy, expensive, less capable, and no more debendable than most other brands.

Less capable of running around fast over the rough stuff and through the mud for sure. Expensive? The fuel savings will pay the difference not even including longevity, practicality of the diesel engine. Towing and pulling is something that we need and depend on. We've planted 40 acres in a day using our JD 8200 double disc seed drill behind the Kubota, thanks to the rear hydraulics. The Kubota is a working machine, it might not be something that a weekend warrior - hunter needs. 20 different kids have drove ours non stop till they get arguing who's turn it is to drive, and so far no problems besides the front drive shaft.
I like the new Mules for the ride, speed and noise otherwise the Kubota is what we need around the farm.

True Grit Farms":1lceob2h said:
Brute 23":1lceob2h said:

Less capable of running around fast over the rough stuff and through the mud for sure. Expensive? The fuel savings will pay the difference not even including longevity, practicality of the diesel engine. Towing and pulling is something that we need and depend on. We've planted 40 acres in a day using our JD 8200 double disc seed drill behind the Kubota, thanks to the rear hydraulics. The Kubota is a working machine, it might not be something that a weekend warrior - hunter needs. 20 different kids have drove ours non stop till they get arguing who's turn it is to drive, and so far no problems besides the front drive shaft.
I like the new Mules for the ride, speed and noise otherwise the Kubota is what we need around the farm.

They do not out work, out perform, use less fuel or last longer than the other brands. That is a fact. You can buy it cause you want it, buy it cause your wife likes it, buy it cause Kubota will finance to any one, buy it cause you like the color... none of the reasons matter to me why a person buys it... just don't think you are paying more for a superior machine... cause you are not.

Its your money buy what you want. They make a great dump bed and the hydraulics are handy IF you need them.

Brute 23":2ama5dmo said:
True Grit Farms":2ama5dmo said:
Brute 23":2ama5dmo said:

They do not out work, out perform, use less fuel or last longer than the other brands. That is a fact. You can buy it cause you want it, buy it cause your wife likes it, buy it cause Kubota will finance to any one, buy it cause you like the color... none of the reasons matter to me why a person buys it... just don't think you are paying more for a superior machine... cause you are not.

Its your money buy what you want. They make a great dump bed and the hydraulics are handy IF you need them.

I'm willing to bet whatever on a fuel mileage, and or pulling contest against anything but a Honda Pioneer. I've never had the privilege of owning a Honda so I know nothing about them. I'll meet you half way anytime you want to shut up or put up. Let me be clear, I'm not saying Kubota is a superior machine for what you do. I know it's a superior machine for what I use it for compared to the Polaris, Mule or Rhino. I've personally owned and worked them all, and currently have a Mule, Grizzly and Club Car that we use for hunting and play.

My crankshaft is bigger than your crankshaft . . . . . . . lol . . . . . . . . btw, I love Kobata and Dodge too.

jehosofat":202pegy5 said:
My crankshaft is bigger than your crankshaft . . . . . . . lol . . . . . . . . btw, I love Kobata and Dodge too.

It just rubs me wrong when folks talk stuff they know isn't true. You don't drive a Dodge truck because it's the fastest or best riding either.

I have a RTV 1140. You might say its my daily driver. About the same machine as a 900 except it has a fold up second seat. I bought it in 2009 for the second seat as well as the extra bed space when its folded up. I have not done anything to it besides maintenance except to replace the CV joints on the front. Its a great machine. Yes its slow, heavy, and loud but I would darn sure buy another one. It keeps the pickup out of the pasture.
I'm sure their are other RTV's that are good, but their wasn't much to compare to in 2009 except mules and they had to have an aftermarket hydraulic setup to tilt the bed.
Oh yeah, I also drive a Ram.

keep in mind Brute recommends the Honda UTV.... The most crappy sh!t UTV on the market..

I've worked on lots and lots and lots of 900s when I was employed at Kubota dealership. We were always glad to see them sell another one...job security for the shop employees and parts dept. I got good and fast at changing out that whole rear double wishbone that holds the bearing assemblies as well as changing transmissions and fixing that shift problem from neutral and the anomaly that would throw you out of the seat when you tried to come to a stop...every owner complained mightily about that one. I guess they've improved in quality in the last 9 years.

A comment about impressing the neighbor in one of the other posts kinda made me chuckle a little. I`ve always said the people that need a utv can`t afford them but those that don`t need them seem to always have them. I`ve gotten by with the old 4 wheeler for 17 years but my neighbor who has a 3 acre place to take care of bought a new Gator a few years back and was more than happy to let me know it was a little over $16,000 he paid for it. I`m sure a used golf cart for $800 would`ve served the purpose just fine for his uses but it certainly wouldn`t have the cool factor like the Gator which he keeps in his garage and all shined up at all times. I pretty well made my mind up to buy a Kubota after I saw a RTV X900 parked beside a 825I gator at the Kubota dealer to me it looked much heavier made and more for work than the Gator. After pricing both there`s very little difference in price.

jd720":1uakulkq said:
A comment about impressing the neighbor in one of the other posts kinda made me chuckle a little. I`ve always said the people that need a utv can`t afford them but those that don`t need them seem to always have them. I`ve gotten by with the old 4 wheeler for 17 years but my neighbor who has a 3 acre place to take care of bought a new Gator a few years back and was more than happy to let me know it was a little over $16,000 he paid for it. I`m sure a used golf cart for $800 would`ve served the purpose just fine for his uses but it certainly wouldn`t have the cool factor like the Gator which he keeps in his garage and all shined up at all times. I pretty well made my mind up to buy a Kubota after I saw a RTV X900 parked beside a 825I gator at the Kubota dealer to me it looked much heavier made and more for work than the Gator. After pricing both there`s very little difference in price.

It's the exact opposite. Looks can be deceiving. The hydrostatic transmission sucks so you can't work it that hard. Ive been there and watched the Kubotas with the hydrsatics not even spin the tires in a bind. Look at your towing and payload specs compared to other brands. Look at the torque compared to other brands.

GB hit the nail on the head. Nothing has changed.

They do have some with CVTs I think.

All our tractors, loaders, etc are Kubota but we didn't like the RTV because of our rocky, hilly, sometimes steep terrain - it's just too heavy, sits too low. Speed (or lack thereof) was not a factor. Not a fan of the diesel on a utility vehicle because of the noise & smell.
For what it's worth, when my husband was recovering from surgery and I was doing all the work (manual labor!) a friend of ours that owns a Chevy/Polaris/Hustler dealership brought out one of the Hustler MDV's for me to use, mainly because of the hydraulic bed feature - it doesn't just tip/dump, it will lay flat on the ground. It's a serious work machine but for the ridiculous price, which doesn't include features, I wouldn't buy one.
https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/mdv

i pulled a f450 2wd pulling a 18' enclosed trailer loaded up with a lot of weight up a small incline in slick deep mud. all 4 wheels spinning I pulled him about 40'. not sure what else you could expect from a little diesel utility vehicle.

ddd75":2dvjpyh5 said:
i pulled a f450 2wd pulling a 18' enclosed trailer loaded up with a lot of weight up a small incline in slick deep mud. all 4 wheels spinning I pulled him about 40'. not sure what else you could expect from a little diesel utility vehicle.

Proof once again you can't fix stupid. Everyone knows diesel engines don't make any torque, and the hydrostatic transmission is the same one used in all the smaller hydrostatic tractors Kubota builds. I'm still waiting for all the tractor and truck companies to start running belt drive transmissions.

That's great that it did that... that one time... but I guarantee you it will let you down eventually and at the worse time.

They do not like sand or boggy ground or when you are really getting good traction and binding it up. As long as its slick and your spinning you are good.

I shared my experiences yall shared yalls. Like I said... I don't really care what the OP buys. Kubota mechanis have yo feed their families too.

Latest posts