Kubota Round Baler Info

Help Support CattleToday:

We bought a Kubota baler this year. The jury is still out. We have about 350 bales through it so far. I think the valet is going to be ok once we get it dialed in. Someone mentioned the wrap in the front. I actually really like that feature. It isn't hard to change at all and I can see the wrap and see if there is any issues. I believe once the more of them are in fields peoples opinions of them will be positive if the dealers educate buyers on how to operate and maintain the baler. That has been our only real concern. When they brought the baler to the field they didn't even know where all the grease points were.

dbirdsong said:
We bought a Kubota baler this year. The jury is still out. We have about 350 bales through it so far. I think the valet is going to be ok once we get it dialed in. Someone mentioned the wrap in the front. I actually really like that feature. It isn't hard to change at all and I can see the wrap and see if there is any issues. I believe once the more of them are in fields peoples opinions of them will be positive if the dealers educate buyers on how to operate and maintain the baler. That has been our only real concern. When they brought the baler to the field they didn't even know where all the grease points were.

Thanks for the info! Did you buy the BV4160 or did you get the BV5160? The kubota baler looks like a solid unit, but my concern is the same as your's, dealer support. I spoke to the dealer that would bring it in, but they have never seen one, don't stock parts, nor any techs that know how to set one up, so I'd be on my own. However, as I stated in my earlier post, that goes for any brand I choose which sucks especially when you break down and have to order in the parts or need advice.

CreekAngus said:
What about Kuhn, out here in the far west a lot of guys bale with the Kuhns and McHale.

Saw a guy doing custom baling this year with a new McHale. It was down being worked on more than it was baling. Didn't leave a good impression for the price.

Silver said:
C-Ranch said:
Is the Vermeer the only round baler with a camless pickup? This design seems like a lot less maintenance..IMOP

I might be wrong but I think the NH Roll Belt specialty crop balers also have rubber mounted teeth and no cams on a 5 bar pickup

Edited to add: My Vermeer 605N has 11,000 bales on it and all of it's original pickup teeth. Now I've probably jinxed myself.

Bring it down for the acid test. Rough ground and soft ground eat up about 4 to 5dozen pickup tines a year on these Deere's.

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:
C-Ranch said:
Is the Vermeer the only round baler with a camless pickup? This design seems like a lot less maintenance..IMOP

I might be wrong but I think the NH Roll Belt specialty crop balers also have rubber mounted teeth and no cams on a 5 bar pickup

Edited to add: My Vermeer 605N has 11,000 bales on it and all of it's original pickup teeth. Now I've probably jinxed myself.

Bring it down for the acid test. Rough ground and soft ground eat up about 4 to 5dozen pickup tines a year on these Deere's.

If you can wait until freeze up I might be finished and we might work something out lol.
It would be interesting to see the difference. I used to go through a lot of teeth even here on the JD's, but not with the rubber mounted style we have now. I would be willing to bet the Vermeer or NH specialty crop style would hold up better even in your conditions.

I spoke yesterday with a Vermeer dealer in MT and was quoted 50K for new 605N with net & Twin, Auto grease, oiler, slip clutch and there was something else on but can't remember, but seemed to be inline with JD's 569. I thing I'll for-go the deal on the kubota baler even though it's the better priced machine. It may be a sound baler, but I am also worried that when I go to trade it down the road, it won't be worth anything except a fancy worn out yard decoration. Lord knows I don't need any more old things sitting around..LOL

Now just need to decide between Vermeer and JD. I also saw a brochure on the Hesston and it looks like a decent baler, but it seems to have a lot of sensors and a self-contained hydraulic unit, which is just more things to go wrong IMOP..maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know about the new Hesston's?

I have about 4000 bales through my Kuhn about half green hay for wrapping. It is a very well built machine but resale or trade in value will not be good because there are just not many of them out there and not as well known as the more common brands. Kubota and Kuhn are similar in design but Kuhn is heavier.

Well as of yesterday I pulled the trigger and purchased a new Kubota 5x6 baler. I am worried about trade in down the road, however after talking to 4 different dealers, I was told in the last 6 months they have seen an up-tick in Kubota baler sales over their other brands. The sales quotes that I received for a new Kubota 5x6 is $53,885, a new JD 569 is $54,665 and a Vermeer was $54,995 all with twine and net wrap. In the end the Kubota dealer sharpened their pencil and wanted to deal where the other two not so much. So bottom line with incentives and trading in my NH 4x5 baler I ended up at $31K out the door which included the large flotation tires, silage kit, 3yr warranty, and 0% interest. The others didn't come close so, only time will tell how it will perform, but with a 3yr warranty (versus only 1yr from JD and VM) I decided to take the leap. Not to mention the dealership has been great to work with in the past when buying other equipment, so I have confidence they will assist if the time arises. I will use it to put up 3rd crop, so I'll post back what my first impressions are.