• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kubota alternator puts out 11 volts at idle

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Hi.

Had a dead battery on my Kubota 8540. Figuring it was the battery, so I took it out and had it tested. Came back good, so I checked the voltage coming from the alternator and I only have 11 when the tractor is at idle. At 2000 rpm I get 13 volt. The shop that tested the battery said I should be getting 14.5 volts even at idle. That being said, anything else to look at before I just go and get another alternator?

Thanks-

OP
millstreaminn

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I don't know. The tractor is about 6 years old. I'll call my local dealer and ask, even though their service dept sucks and I don't really trust what they tell me...

jltrent

Reaction score
The problem is the little electronic board in the alternator. Take it to a rebuild shop and they will fix it, usually $50 or less and about a 15 minute job.

Txpiney

Reaction score
jltrent":b82luhdc said:
The problem is the little electronic board in the alternator. Take it to a rebuild shop and they will fix it, usually $50 or less and about a 15 minute job.
What jltrent said is the cheapest way. The alternator should be putting out between 13.5 to 14.5 volts, even under a load. Anything below 13.5 is not enough voltage, anything above 14.5 is too much voltage.