Komatsu dozer

Help Support CattleToday:

chevytaHOE5674 said:
Without measuring it and comparing to new that undercarriage is very well used. Sprockets are worn and egged out, rails looks work down, front idle looks worn, etc. Avoid excessive reversing and sharp turns as that wears things faster and is more likely to throw a track.

Hopefully you bought it right.

I had a D3 with similar undercarriage and got tired of putting tracks back on so I shipped it down the road, because for what it cost to fix I could hire a lot of work done. Lol.
I didn't think the sprockets looked so bad, I've seen worse. Gonna do some measuring tomorrow, and see where we stand. I think I got it right, virtually every fluid level was low except the final drives, and it has sat. Track was surely out of adjustment. I used it a little today, just casually, knocked a hump of the pasture thats bothered me for years, did ok, but it definitely doesn't like wet ground with the wear. I may get some bar stock and do some welding like Nesi suggested. Temp gauge is obviously 12volt, 24 volt system, had my IR thermometer out and noticed nothing out of the ordinary on any components, granted, I didn't work it hard. But, I like a mechanical gauge for temp and oil pressure on anything, so thats the next step. Thanks.

I thought the sprockets looks fine too. When the teeth get sharp you are in trouble and you're a long way from that. Do the pins show much wear? You'll know if they feel out of round. If the top side of the pin is also out of round then someone has turned them.

Comparing to new sprockets yours looks egged out, not worn to sharp points but definitely worn. If your going to weld onto the gousers price out actual gouser stock, it wears better and is pre-beveled for easier welding.

Welded up a set of timbco pads and the pre cut/beveled gouser bars weren't that much more than buying bar stock and cutting/leveling it. And they are wearing very well.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
Comparing to new sprockets yours looks egged out, not worn to sharp points but definitely worn. If your going to weld onto the gousers price out actual gouser stock, it wears better and is pre-beveled for easier welding.

Welded up a set of timbco pads and the pre cut/beveled gouser bars weren't that much more than buying bar stock and cutting/leveling it. And they are wearing very well.
Will do, it definitely needs a bit more traction on wet ground, but I can work around some things, mostly gonna be pushing some small cedar and piling brush, and those damn thorny locust. Have cost me , in flats, those suckers gotta go. Gonna be re piling some dozer piles from a non dozer operator to burn. And smoothing some ground out, I don't know how it'll pan out, but it sure aint rocket science. I feel good about the purchase now, maybe not in a week or two.

2 weeks later, still feeling good about it, cleared 2 or 3 acres of cedars and those dang locusts. Used 2 qts of oil and no sign of a leak. Front blade trunnion bolts kept loosening up tho, not sure what that was about, gave em a little extra uummph the last time, and so far haven't backed off. I do know that about 2 days work on it in a row is about all my back can stand!

snoopdog said:
Front blade trunnion bolts kept loosening up tho, not sure what that was about, gave em a little extra uummph the last time, and so far haven't backed off.

A little Loctite will go a long way.

cfpinz said:
snoopdog said:
Front blade trunnion bolts kept loosening up tho, not sure what that was about, gave em a little extra uummph the last time, and so far haven't backed off.

A little Loctite will go a long way.
I thought about it, but those are some heavy duty bolts. Seems the extra umph did the trick. Started digging a small pond yesterday, while waiting for my piles to burn, seriously lacking in that department for pasture utilization. Got oil and filters today, so , gonna have a maintenance day pretty soon. But I am jazzed, I know now it needs brake bands, and I'm going to weld on some 1/2 in square stock for grousers. I'll do what I can with the brake adjustment while the weather is good, and when it gets cold , put it in the shop.

Do you have a manual for it? Probably be able to download one for a small fee, I did with my 90's excavator. They go a long way to making the adjustments right. I have all the manuals for my D4 as well as parts books and it makes so easy to adjust things right instead of tearing into it blindly. I wouldn't stress too much about the grousers it is only a light machine which you are well aware of so doesn't have the ground pressure for massive traction but I am sure it will be up to the jobs you have planned for it. Oil consumption sounds a bit high but as long as you are aware of it and keep it topped up you will get a lot of work out of it without having to do anything. These older machines seem to go better with a single grade oil, my D4 uses a straight 30 grade oil.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Do you have a manual for it? Probably be able to download one for a small fee, I did with my 90's excavator. They go a long way to making the adjustments right. I have all the manuals for my D4 as well as parts books and it makes so easy to adjust things right instead of tearing into it blindly. I wouldn't stress too much about the grousers it is only a light machine which you are well aware of so doesn't have the ground pressure for massive traction but I am sure it will be up to the jobs you have planned for it. Oil consumption sounds a bit high but as long as you are aware of it and keep it topped up you will get a lot of work out of it without having to do anything. These older machines seem to go better with a single grade oil, my D4 uses a straight 30 grade oil.

Ken
I got a shop manual from the local dealer, gratis, really good guy , I think. The 2 qts consumption was for about 20 hrs, I think, but I keep a sharp eye on it. Again, I need to take better notes.

snoopdog said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken
I got a shop manual from the local dealer, gratis, really good guy , I think. The 2 qts consumption was for about 20 hrs, I think, but I keep a sharp eye on it. Again, I need to take better notes.
Always better to have the printed version to thumb through than an electronic version I reckon. Good score there.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
snoopdog said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken
Always better to have the printed version to thumb through than an electronic version I reckon. Good score there.

Ken
He downloaded it on a flash drive, I have a printer. Figured out the starting problem, not enough fuel, moved the lever to wide open and she starts right up, no ether. Of course, I'm right there to throttle it back when it hits. Thanks everyone, wish I would have done some before pics as always, but I'll post some soon.

Latest posts