Kobe beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rough'n'Ready Plantation

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to raise Wagyu cattle and raise Kobe beef? I heard about it from a friend today, he worked over the summer at this Wagyu breeder's place in Texas. His name is Yamamoto or something, he's the Japanese guy on the Bassmaster tour. He has the largest Wagyu herd in the country according to my friend. Apparently they cross Angus with Wagyu to make F1's that do really well on this ranch. I researched Kobe beef online a little bit, and it seems like the main limiting factor is that there is almost no market for it here in the states.
-Lee

Well, I know the beef is extremely expensive, but I don't know why. Does it taste better? Is it leaner? Is it more tender? Is it healthier for you? Are the animals more expensive than say a high quality beef animal? Why is it called Kobe beef if it's from a Wagyu cow? Have I missed anything? ;-)

i think it's called Kobe because that is the town in Japan where they process the Wagyu meat. Supposedly the Wagyu breed has a much higher amounts of intramuscular fat... to the point where your steak looks white not reddish/brown. It's supposedly a delicacy for really rich people, it's at least 3 to 4 times the price of normal steaks i think.

Yuck, I don't like fat :shock: , so I don't think that would be very tasty. Hubby would love it though.
I wondered why the name difference, thanks. I'd like to see the answer to your question as well. I would think that it would do well here in the US, but then again, horse meat is a delicacy in the UK.

Latest posts