"Knuckling under" of hind feet

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My Dad has a first calf Red Angus heifer who has recently started to walk with her hind feet knuckled under - she's walking on the joints.

She was purchased bred, had her calf about 4 months ago, had an uneventful delivery, and was apparently doing fine.

This problem was noticed about a week ago. Vet was out on Tuesday to vaccinate and castrate calves -- Dad had the heifer up and asked the vet to look at her. Vet said he had no idea what was wrong and turned her back out. Another vet isn't an option as there are no other large animal vets around.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Any suggestions for treatment? (keeping in mind that this heifer is not used to being handled)

Thanks for any help.

Ann B

Is she walking on one hind knuckle or both. If it's one, she has nerve damage between the spinal cord and the muscle in all likelihood. Is her hock dropped? That could indicate the exact nerve affected. If it's both hind legs, look for a spinal lesion such as disc disease, tumour, trauma... Without seeing the animal, I'm only stabbing in the dark. Watch for trauma to the area being walked on abnormally, and any improvement could take weeks to months. Consider culling her.

Hi Vicki Glad to see you back -- how was your trip?

Since this cow is at my Dad's in another state, I only see her occasionally. Last time I saw her was Friday -- feet are not knuckling under as badly (and it is both) *most* of the time she is walking on the soles, but the pasterns appear to be almost "dropped" and her hocks and stifles seem to have no movement at all when she walks. All movement appears to be in the hips and ankles.

Personally, if she were mine, she'd already be on the "cull list", but I don't know what Dad will do.

What would have caused this type of problem? Would it have been a calving injury? Or is it possible that it could have been a breeding injury? (Dad is real concerned that his 8 year old Red Angus bull has gotten too big and may have hurt her while breeding her)

Thanks Ann B

> Is she walking on one hind knuckle
> or both. If it's one, she has
> nerve damage between the spinal
> cord and the muscle in all
> likelihood. Is her hock dropped?
> That could indicate the exact
> nerve affected. If it's both hind
> legs, look for a spinal lesion
> such as disc disease, tumour,
> trauma... Without seeing the
> animal, I'm only stabbing in the
> dark. Watch for trauma to the area
> being walked on abnormally, and
> any improvement could take weeks
> to months. Consider culling her.

I'm sure you would have mentioned it, but how are her toes? Overly long?

dunmovin farms

> My Dad has a first calf Red Angus
> heifer who has recently started to
> walk with her hind feet knuckled
> under - she's walking on the
> joints.

> She was purchased bred, had her
> calf about 4 months ago, had an
> uneventful delivery, and was
> apparently doing fine.

> This problem was noticed about a
> week ago. Vet was out on Tuesday