KNOWN CATTLE PROBLEMS IN DIFFERENT BREEDS

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

As you know you can here a lot of different information setting in a sale barn cafa, some maybe true and some not about different problems with different breeds of cattle.

Some I've heard and don't know from experence are: Hereford are known for pink eye and eye cancer, Santa Gerturdis are more likely to prolapse or have calving problems,A lot of Red Limousins are known for lack of milk.

I don't know how much of this is true, and I know you can't judge them all in one breed by just one incident, but maybe some of you could shine some light on this subject based on your experences.

If any one knows of a web site where studies have been done with facts on known problems with differnet Breeds that would be helpful.

[email protected]

Herefords are prone to prolapse, Limousins tend to have temperment problems. Charolais have a tendency toward fdifficult calving. Braunvieh are lazy calvers. We've had the prolapse problem with Herefords, and they are typically low milkers, the only pink eye we've had was in black Angus, the main problem we had with Gerts was too much milk. So many of these things tend to run more in a family line rather then breed. The pinkeye problem can be addressed with existing Hereford genetics and a good fly control program. There are good tempered Limousins, but I've seen very, very, very few of them. Other then Simmenthal and Gelbvieh it seems most of the continental breeds have a problem with too little milk for the growth potential of their calves. Brahmans are noted for being nuts, yet properly handled they are as easy if not easier going then any breed other then Herefords. But yahoo and cowboy them once and you'll have problems the rest of their lives. I don't think you'll find any site that specifically deals with breed traits other then maternal, weaning, growth and carcass. If anything negative is said about a breed it's considered breed bashing, but there are bad general traits in most breeds, to not acknowledge them is stupid. If more seedstock breeders would quit thinking that every bull is a herd sire and every heifer is a replacment the industry would be better off. All that being said, the meanest bulls I've ever seen are Jerseys and the cows can be exceptionally cranky and hard to work with. If you find unbiased breeders you can get real information on what traits each breed have, in general terms. You may get the occasional crazy as hell Hereford or gentle as a pup Limousin, but that isn't the run of the mill animal of either breed. Like in all these things, you may have a steer gain 5 lbs a day on pasture and one that only gains 2 lbs a day on grain, neither is what you can expect day in and day out from the breed. I personally detest Limousins, but if you want to add butt, they'll do it for you. So all breeds have a place, the poor examples need to be eaten, the good examples need to propogate.

dunmovin farms

> As you know you can here a lot of
> different information setting in a
> sale barn cafa, some maybe true
> and some not about different
> problems with different breeds of
> cattle.

> Some I've heard and don't know
> from experence are: Hereford are
> known for pink eye and eye cancer,
> Santa Gerturdis are more likely to
> prolapse or have calving
> problems,A lot of Red Limousins
> are known for lack of milk.

> I don't know how much of this is
> true, and I know you can't judge
> them all in one breed by just one
> incident, but maybe some of you
> could shine some light on this
> subject based on your experences.

> If any one knows of a web site
> where studies have been done with
> facts on known problems with
> differnet Breeds that would be
> helpful.

Pink eye generally is more likely to occur to animals with white around the eye because of the lack of pigment. It isn't because of the breed. As for the prolapse, every breed has that, its a problem with calving. And for Limousin, we raise purebred Limousin, and I will say back 15yrs ago Limo's had a lack of milk, but breeders have zoned in on the milking trait and having really improved it. Our cows and first calvers have excellent milking ability. I work at a dairy barn so I know a lot about milk and milking ability (just so people won't say that hey she raises limos so she doesn't know what a good milker is).

Latest posts