Know about Angus? I guess you do Sir!

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the great replies. Remember, I am just starting out and doing so, slowly.

I am not starting it as my livelyhood. But instead to learn about it and enjoy the tax benefits of my land being taxed as agricultural land. In the future I may do more with cattle but I realize I have an awful lot to learn. I am almost getting obsessed with learning all about the ins and outs of cattle. I stay up late at night reading on the internet and reading the last three months issues of Florida Cattlemans magazine cover to cover. :shock:

I have several more parcels of land and am slowly looking for cows for those parcels. Leaning toward some longhorns for one parcel and some more black cows for another one. My CH says "I will help you choose the types of cows for those based on the soil and vegetations of those particular parcels." Sounds smart to me. He is trying to explain to me that you just do not say I want this breed or that breed and then put them on land that will not suite them, If you do, he says, I will have to spend a lot of money on feed rather than mostly using the existing pasture grasses.

Today when I was with my cow hand, he and I looked at the papers together. The bull is 8.5 yrs old. I am not sure if his age is the reason but the cowhand today said " in the spring we will sell this bull and get you a nice "Charlois" to put on these black cows."

jscunn":3lbw5std said:
Ricker,
Wow Dynamo is OLDDDDD (Born in the 1970s I think). Not anything wrong with that though.

You sir, are right. I called the Ankony guy today about a land deal we are working on told him that my bulls papers had the name Ankonian Dynamo somewhere on them. He said that Dynamo had won awards for Ankony in the early 70's (I think he said 1972). He rattled off from memory, more than one award actually. It all meant nada to me since I am naive to all this for now. Kind of like what the Bible says "throwing pearls to the swine." I tried to sound impressed as I figured that I probably should be. :lol:

This is all becoming a little over whelming to me and I probably should take a step back and slow down. Focus on my primary businesses for now and/or go fishing. :shock:

I don't know how big these parcels are; but I would run one herd for a full year before I descided to do multiple herds at multiple locations. This business can be a lot of fun; BUT when the police pull up into the drive and report that your cows are out and we want you to do something about it immediately or it is winter (and I know Florida does not have a REAL winter) and you are throwing roll bales to cows and they are still hungry and losing weight it CAN be pretty trying and hired hands ALWAYS quit when they are most needed. Find somebody who will cut hay on halves for those other tracts next sumer and your forage quality should improve while being able to document that you are in the hay and forage business. Spend a year LEARNING before going all out.

Brandonm2":256hious said:
Find somebody who will cut hay on halves for those other tracts next sumer and your forage quality should improve while being able to document that you are in the hay and forage business. Spend a year LEARNING before going all out.
Brandonm2. This is probaly as good a piece of advice that he will get today.

Ricker":18f2yhbf said:
I am sure some on here have heard of Ankony?
I once owned a grandson of Ankonian Dynamo. Yep, I've heard of the great Ankony Angus.

Ricker":20c40l0i said:
Today when I was with my cow hand, he and I looked at the papers together. The bull is 8.5 yrs old. I am not sure if his age is the reason but the cowhand today said " in the spring we will sell this bull and get you a nice "Charlois" to put on these black cows."

Some "Charlois" bulls have EPDs, too. It's good that you've got someone that you trust and feel comfortable with helping you out. Good luck and, as you can see, there's always someone with advice on this board. :D

Ricker":1cfas1fw said:
MikeC":1cfas1fw said:
in the spring we will sell this bull and get you a nice "Charlois" to put on these black cows."

You need one now? :lol:

Make me a great deal and free shipping?

The deals are always great! and the shipping is free as long as you come get him! :lol:

Latest posts