Knot under horse's neck...a bit bigger than a golf ball.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
One of the horses I'm babysitting has a knot under it's neck, almost centerline but a bit to the left. Just before the jawbone. It is pretty soft, fairly deep in and you can move it around with your hand. If I had to describe it in human anatomy, I would equate it to what a swollen lymph node feels like, but not quite as hard..feels about like a peeled hard boiled egg if that makes any sense. Not a good picture, but you can see it's outline.

It doesn't seem to be causing any pain and the owner is currently on his way to Israel for Christmas.
I'm not really a horse person but sure don't want anything the happen to them on my watch.I'm watching them and feeding them as a favor only. Not any kind of paid gig.

Thoughts?

A while since I dealt with horses GB but I often used to see them when looking at something else. There is a common name for them but I can't remember. I don't even know what causes them or what the tissue is but they are no cause for concern. I have even heard people say they are only in good horses as in horses that win a few races.

Ken

wbvs58":36q9v9q6 said:
A while since I dealt with horses GB but I often used to see them when looking at something else. There is a common name for them but I can't remember. I don't even know what causes them or what the tissue is but they are no cause for concern. I have even heard people say they are only in good horses as in horses that win a few races.

Ken

I thought it might be goiter, but it's been decades since I had horses so I can't remember exactly what goiter looked like, but I remember it being more firm than this one is..

greybeard":153hrv4c said:
I believe it may be something called strangles. I'd heard of it, but have never seen it.

It's be noticeably sick with strangles. I'm guessing a lymph node swollen. I actually have a horse now with that condition. Told myself if it didn't go away, I'd ask the vet. Had the horse there for something else a year later, and all she said was keep an eye on it. Been there a couple of years now with no I'll afgects.

No not Strangles GB, more the lymph nodes around the larynx and get progressively swollen until burst out or lanced and horse sick and febrile. What you have is usually quite mobile under the skin and painless, they are permanent.

Ken

wbvs58":3k7nd8up said:
No not Strangles GB, more the lymph nodes around the larynx and get progressively swollen until burst out or lanced and horse sick and febrile. What you have is usually quite mobile under the skin and painless, they are permanent.

Ken

That does seem to be the case here as someone that is familiar with this one came by and took it over to their place to look after till the owner returns and said he's pretty sure the horse has always had a lump under there. .

Swollen lymph nodes caused by infection from eating spear grass that was in hay the horse's owner had brought in from San Antonio. The hay has all been burned as of this morning, but not before a shooting took place over it. All the guy's horses are suffering from it, one pretty seriously.
viewtopic.php?p=1548216#p1548216

We bought some late fall hay a few years ago, it was loaded with foxtail. Our horses had bloody mouths for weeks! From my research, foxtail is considered a "spear grass". Not good stuff for horses....