Knot on Neck

Help Support CattleToday:

We had this happen last year to a calf about that same age. Don't know if it was a snake bite or a thorn that caused it, but we caught her and lanced it, since it was soft.....I wouldnt lance it if it was a hard knot. After lancin it, puss and bloody yuck ran out, and we flushed it with water. Gave her a shot of penn, sprayed it with cut and heal, and turned her loose.....she was fine.

Have had good results by lancing abcesses near the bottom, squeezing out the pus, then flushing with peroxide. Just put peroxide in a syringe without needle & squirt into the incision. Give a shot of la 200 or long acting pennicillin, wait 3-4 days & repeat both flushing & antibiotic.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

If you decide to lance it, put a "T" cut in it so it doesn't close back up right away. I would probably consult your vet to see what they think it could be. It is hard to give too much advice on something you can't see.

Be cautious when lancing abscess' s. Several of the common bacteria that we see in these abscess s can infgect you if they get in a cut on your hands. Some are very serious. Also, there is the possibility of damaging important underlying structures such as arteries, veins, nerves, etc.
Unless you are knowledgable about these things, contact your vet.

G&L Cattle":3h0hyohg said:
I lanced it and flushed it out several times about two weeks ago. It never went down and is still a big hollow lump. I suppose it will take a while for the skin to relax and normalize. Correct?

G&L

Correct.

Sometimes on a knot that you are not sure of, you can take a syringe and large needle and pierce the knot and try to pull off fluids. If you get fluid from it go ahead and lance it. There isn't any need to lance a hard knot.

Latest posts