Knot head

Help Support CattleToday:

gh1217

Reaction score
I have a bull calf just weaned with a knot on his lower jaw. (on the side of his head) I think its a bacterial abcess of some kind. I given shots of LA200 on two seperate occasions. Doesn't seem to help. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to be a tooth problem. Thanks gang

If it is an abcess, lanceing and draining will aid in cureing the problem. I would make a deep incision and milk out all the fluid possible. Then I would flush it with hydrogen peroxide and give another dose of LA 200. Never had much luck without draining the puss.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Lumpy Jaw
Common Symptoms
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lumps are formed on the joints inside the mouth
The tissues inside the mouth become sift and swollen
There might be a presence of yellow pus in the swollen areas
Nearby areas of the mouth might be affected which may cause chewing to become very difficult and painful for the animal
Cattle may lose teeth irregularly
A gradual weakness can be seen in the affected cattle as they avoid eating
Difficulty in breathing

Treatments
The affected areas are treated with iodine solutions. Antibiotics such as Tetracyclines also might be used. With effective treatment and quick diagnosis, the cost of medical expenses is significantly reduced.

PaPaw is giving you some good advice. Check to see if is soft or a hard bump. Soft it sure needs draining. If hard look for something sticking in it on the inside or outside sometimes it is thorns ect. At this time of year I would put some fly repellent on the animal.