knife castration?

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan, not to sound too dubm, but what do you mean look at the market? Are you saying I may be better off selling them intact as opposed to cuting and losing some gain just to get a higher price per pd?

Cattle Rack Rancher said:
We usually cut ours around 400-500lbs. We put the calf in a headgate, I slip in the chute beside the calf, wrap my leg around one of his hind legs while I pull up on his tail. My brother cuts two vertical cuts, grabs and pulls as hard as it takes to get the nuts out. So far he's got the right set of nuts everytime LOL. We've done them as big as 700 lbs with nothing but a lariat, tying him at the head and running the rope back around his body to hold him against the fence.

Better keep on the good side of your brother :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The comments about vets cutting rather then banding are kind of the dah type of thing. Of course the vet will use a knife, it's part of their culture. But we do have a vet in the area that will band the 700 plus guys.
When we band in the spring the vet tails them while they're in the chute and I'm banding. This spring we had a couple that were so fat in the scrotum that it wouldn't fit in the bander, the vet knifed them while I was tagging.
But we have a very good relationship with the vet, and I'm sure that helps

dun

txag":1kc1qo9w said:
maybe we've just been lucky, but we've banded for years and have never had a problem. we band at birth & never give tetanus or penicillin.

I'll second that. And it's not that there were never horses on our property.

dun":12fhcktf said:
When we band in the spring the vet tails them while they're in the chute and I'm banding. dun

You've probably mentioned this before, but what brand of bander do you use Dun? Where did you purchase it?

TXBobcat":3psdcls9 said:
Since we are on the subject of cutting calves, what method of restraint does everyone use when cutting calves - especially when cutting the bigger calves (500 -700 lbs)?

Example: For newborns I would just catch them (move them to a safe place away from mama) and have a partner hold them while I cut.

With husbands beef calves he either holds them in a corner, still standing, or flips them and I put on the band, they are less than a week old. We don't take them away from the cow, but we are catching them and holding/petting them alot during that first week anyway.

With my bottle calves I put milk in their feeder and go behind them and put on the band. During the cool season they are a few days old, during fly season they go until fall so could be a couple months old. They are always more interested in drinking than what I'm doing/done.

sidney411":12ukp5de said:
I then spray the wound down really good inside and out with the yellow spray (can't call the name) I have never had a problem - knock on wood -

Furazolidone :?: Wasn't that banned in food animals :?:

I think it says Furall on the can. I don't know anything about it being banned??? It is sold at all of the feed stores and COOP. If you have more info I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Geez - I just trusted the guy at the feed store when he reccomended it :oops: I will read the can this weekend and see if it is the same stuff. I guess I will have to get something else. Thanks!

royB":2bv722og said:
Texan..........what do you mean look at the market? Are you saying I may be better off selling them intact as opposed to cuting and losing some gain just to get a higher price per pd?

Yes, Roy. That's exactly what I'm saying. I know that I won't risk cutting any big calves this year. Especially not in the heat of August with the market like it is.

Lots of people wanting to buy them and willing to take that chance because of numbers being short. Time you figure the shrink, risk and all the costs, to me this is one of those years where cutting may not be worth it if you've already waited this long.

Lot of downside to this market. I'd hate to be stuck waiting on cattle to heal up and get back to the weight they started at if something bad happened to cheapen them up. Just something else to think about is all that I'm saying. I guess it all depends on how long you were planning on keeping them.

royB wrote:
Texan..........what do you mean look at the market? Are you saying I may be better off selling them intact as opposed to cuting and losing some gain just to get a higher price per pd?

Yes, Roy. That's exactly what I'm saying. I know that I won't risk cutting any big calves this year. Especially not in the heat of August with the market like it is.

Lots of people wanting to buy them and willing to take that chance because of numbers being short. Time you figure the shrink, risk and all the costs, to me this is one of those years where cutting may not be worth it if you've already waited this long.

Lot of downside to this market. I'd hate to be stuck waiting on cattle to heal up and get back to the weight they started at if something bad happened to cheapen them up. Just something else to think about is all that I'm saying. I guess it all depends on how long you were planning on keeping them.

Not to mention your labor! :idea:

TXBobcat":2uqtglxg said:
dun":2uqtglxg said:
When we band in the spring the vet tails them while they're in the chute and I'm banding. dun

You've probably mentioned this before, but what brand of bander do you use Dun? Where did you purchase it?

We just use an old cheerios bander. The vet that bands the bigger stuff uses a calicrate(sp)

dun

Thanks to everyone for all the input. IT sounds like I would be better off waiting o the smaller guys til cooler weather, then decide. I believe I have what everyone is referring to as a cheerios bander, small green elastic bands that go on a tool with 4 fingers to expand it?

I was planning on having the vet out to preg check in Oct so I'll see if I can't get him to watch over me while I do it (paid ofcourse) that way I will know how, then I can band the next one and compare for myself.

I am still not confident in my skills to determine the safety margin when trying to get to the calf right after birth so I let them be unless it is serious.

Thanks again.

It is really an asset to be able to discuss things with so many that have the expirience.

Roy

Something Dad came across by accident when he couldn't find his knife is using an eartag cutter (the thing that cuts the the post so the tag comes free). No pointy end and the blade is covered so you don't have to worry about anything or anyone getting accidently cut when the calf kicks (how do you all train your calves not to kick?). We use a pair of pliars to pull the bag down (keeps the fingers clear) and cut the end of the bag off. We also use a calf table as there's just the two of us; Dad pushes calves and I do the branding, cutting, tagging, and vaccinating.

Put him in a chute and tie on leg back so he can't jucp and kick. Cut the bottom of the sack off and pull both testicles out as far as you can and then scrape the blade of you knife up and down the as close to the skin as posiblt untill the testicles break away.

txshowmom":a8leenno said:
Put him in a chute and tie on leg back so he can't jucp and kick. Cut the bottom of the sack off and pull both testicles out as far as you can and then scrape the blade of you knife up and down the as close to the skin as posiblt untill the testicles break away.

This is the way I've always done it, but I tried a bander for the first time last workup. Worked pretty nifty, but it wouldn't fit most of my calves. Be sure to get the proper size bander for the animals you intend to denut.