Knee high bermuda grass!

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
More grass than I've ever had and I'm still behind normal on rainfall. I've got knee high bermuda and crab grass in one of my three 20 acre pastures. I guess it's not how much rain but the timely distribution of it.
:D

No, I'm just going to put cows with calves on it. You should have seen the soft stools the day after I changed pastures. All calves were making soft creamy green baby poop piles.

redangus":12ya59of said:
No, I'm just going to put cows with calves on it. You should have seen the soft stools the day after I changed pastures. All calves were making soft creamy green baby poop piles.
H-M-M-M-M Great Tongue Twister! Say this three times as fast as possible: Soft creamy green baby poop piles-soft creamy green baby poop piles-soft creamy green baby poop piles!

DOC HARRIS

redangus, Could you share if you started your bermuda yourself? Was it seeded or sprigged? How early did you plant it? What brand is it? Since you have cattle on it, do you fertilize it also? We are seriously thinking about planting bermuda and are trying to get any info from people with firsthand knowledge. Love to hear your calves are doing good!

DOC HARRIS":33vxg5k1 said:
redangus":33vxg5k1 said:
H-M-M-M-M Great Tongue Twister! Say this three times as fast as possible: Soft creamy green baby poop piles-soft creamy green baby poop piles-soft creamy green baby poop piles!

DOC HARRIS

I had a hard time saying it one time slowly.

Sylvanglades":21xx5c7d said:
redangus, Could you share if you started your bermuda yourself? Was it seeded or sprigged? How early did you plant it? What brand is it? Since you have cattle on it, do you fertilize it also? We are seriously thinking about planting bermuda and are trying to get any info from people with firsthand knowledge. Love to hear your calves are doing good!

I started leasing this property to start a registered red angus herd. It started out as just a field full of black berries...one of the most stubborn weed in the world. I did not plant the bermuda or the crab grass. Like most pastures, it was already there in small quanities. I just fertilize triple 19 in early March for the fescue and throw 150# per acre of ammonia nitrate in the middle of May. The fertilizer and the rotational grazing helps a lot. When grass is stockpiled, the cows have a much harder time catching up to it.

The only seeding I did was feeding bermuda hay in weak areas. I consider it the poor man's seeding.

novatech":fsixrgh6 said:
Just the way I like em. :D

My wife really thinks I'm an idiot when I inspect cow stools. "What can I say, I'm a scientist," I tell her.

redangus":bgeousc9 said:
novatech":bgeousc9 said:
Just the way I like em. :D

My wife really thinks I'm an idiot when I inspect cow stools. "What can I say, I'm a scientist," I tell her.
Tell her you are a "Compulsive Investigator" and when you see a cow pie it just - - "flies all over you!"

DOC HARRIS

Sylvanglades":3ubwx5ot said:

Common bermuda makes great pasture I have a couple of bottom pastures thats are common.

Caustic Burno":10qowz22 said:
Sylvanglades":10qowz22 said:

Common bermuda makes great pasture I have a couple of bottom pastures thats are common.

I have some Common Bermuda also. But all Common is not the same. Some has a wider blade and grows more upright. Some tolerates drought better than others, etc.

When I really notice this is when part of a common pasture will seed out earlier or later than another part.

Ever notice this?

MikeC":9uskv2ia said:
Caustic Burno":9uskv2ia said:
Sylvanglades":9uskv2ia said:

I have some Common Bermuda also. But all Common is not the same. Some has a wider blade and grows more upright. Some tolerates drought better than others, etc.

When I really notice this is when part of a common pasture will seed out earlier or later than another part.

Ever notice this?
Mike you must be a golfer bringing seed in on your shoes. :lol:

MikeC":1hnduwgz said:
Caustic Burno":1hnduwgz said:
Sylvanglades":1hnduwgz said:

Ever notice this?
Grasses are like people, no two are the same.Hybrid grasses were common grasses with traits we wanted. Farmers have been selecting for traits since the being of time, whether it be plants or animals. You could select your grass that has the (wider blades) and grow it in another field. See if the seed comes back true. If not, sprig it. In a few years you could name it, and start selling it. And get rich :lol: Be prepared for a lot of failure. And figure it will take half a lifetime to see results.

MikeC":2nhv5m25 said:
Caustic Burno":2nhv5m25 said:
Sylvanglades":2nhv5m25 said:

Ever notice this?

Bermuda seed farms are located in more arid places like Az. Bermuda has to have the right amount of water at the right time. To much water and it won't produce near as much seed.

Latest posts