Kitty

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Since we have a topic going about chickens, I thought I'd ask a question about a kitten.

Someone dropped off a kitten yesterday. Actually they drove by and tossed him out the window. My daughter was devastated that someone would do something like that. The kitten, now named Joey, is eating good and plays with the kids but seems to have a bit of a cold in it's eyes this morning. Was wondering if I can give it a couple drops of penicillin or if there is something else that I can do. It is probably about a monthe or so old, maybe. And NO BILL, I'm not taking it to the vet!!!

I've raised quite a few kittens. If they got sick they got well on their own, since I couldn't afford to take them to the vet for every little ailment. You can give it an 1/8 of a children's asprin if it's running a temp. Just mash it with a hammer and take a VERY small amount of the powder and put in its milk. Seemed to work for me.

certherfbeef":252wzizi said:
And NO BILL, I'm not taking it to the vet!!!
:D :D :D Maybe you could have the vet come out, instead?

You might try the nitrofurazone puffer. The one we use for eye trouble in cattle is also labeled for dogs and cats.

That is a common ailment of farm kittens. They usually get over it by themselves or they die. We don't treat it have plenty of kittens. Can't remember the name of it, eye matts up could be pinkeye.

Texan":3l6lcunz said:
certherfbeef":3l6lcunz said:
And NO BILL, I'm not taking it to the vet!!!
:D :D :D Maybe you could have the vet come out, instead?

You might try the nitrofurazone puffer. The one we use for eye trouble in cattle is also labeled for dogs and cats.

Or...take to your local hospital ER...LOL!!!

No...we inherit barn cats here too...last litter of 8...our dogs reduced it to 4. Think now mama cat had another litter somewhere in hay barn...

Think wife is cleaning her rifle to reduce the mama herd and excess kittens in near future. Other option...let one or two of our small creature killers (dogs) out in our barn area to do "Shoot, Shovel, Shut-Up" operation.

Cats are as bad as rabbits in their rabid sex hormone activity...HELP!

I've had several kittens get their eyes matted shut and I have put penicillin drops that my soninlaw injects into his cattle. Works like a charm. Only the bad cases need more than one treatment.

certherfbeef":1l1fi1w6 said:
Since we have a topic going about chickens, I thought I'd ask a question about a kitten.

Someone dropped off a kitten yesterday. Actually they drove by and tossed him out the window. My daughter was devastated that someone would do something like that. The kitten, now named Joey, is eating good and plays with the kids but seems to have a bit of a cold in it's eyes this morning. Was wondering if I can give it a couple drops of penicillin or if there is something else that I can do. It is probably about a monthe or so old, maybe. And NO BILL, I'm not taking it to the vet!!!

I am in shock this poor kitten needs professional help please take it to the Vet.

Campground Cattle":34alodmk said:
certherfbeef":34alodmk said:

I am in shock this poor kitten needs professional help please take it to the Vet.

I don't remember what it's called but it's a common disease in kittens. You don't need to take it in, but ask your vet what it is. And yes it's highly contagious to other kittens, but if I recall, not to other animals.

dun

certherfbeef":2nsyt39e said:

Most of the opthamolic (sp?) antibiotic creams intended for humans should work.

We've had so many cats and kittens dumped out here over the years, it's ridiculous, so I know exactly where you're coming from with not wanting a vet bill.
Luckily, when it comes to vaccinations and spaying/neutering, my vet does give "multple cat" discounts. All 9 cats (house and barn) go in once every 3 years for their shots.

Ann B

Thanks all!!! Campground too I guess :roll:

The kitty is alive and well. I ended up using a tea bag like I do whan the kids get a cold in their eyes. Gave it a few drops of penicillin and lots of food. Now it won't leave me alone!!

certherfbeef":1dwx81d7 said:

The kitty is alive and well. I ended up using a tea bag like I do whan the kids get a cold in their eyes. Gave it a few drops of penicillin and lots of food. Now it won't leave me alone!!

Sounds like you have a cat!

One thing I gotta say, since we took in all those poor little drop-offs, we no longer have a mice or rat problem.

Ann B

certherfbeef":1w55v0h6 said:

I must have missed something.
What do you do with the tea bag?

I wrapped it in a paper towel and wiped out the eye with the tea juice. Stronger the better.

You can also use absorbic acid with warm water to wipe out the eyes with a cotton ball. That is what the vet had us do years ago for one of our dogs.

Latest posts