Kittitas County Fair & Rodeo, and "Best of the West" Roping

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Yep, right here and right now. One of the best small rodeos in the country. And a separate roping competition that pays pretty good money for pros, amateurs, and pro/am hook-ups at WestStar Ranch (Repp family). Dave, you likely know some of these competitors, or their kids/nieces/nephews.

Sounds like a great way to spend some time with the family Kathie. I'm not a roper of any kind, but when I lived there, I never missed the San Angelo (Texas) roping festival each fall. I think this will be the 60th year for it. If I had to choose between ropin and bull riding, I'll watch roping every time. Poetry in motion.

http://m.sanangelorodeo.com/p/Events/RopingFiesta

I've tried to make plans to go to the roping fiesta but something comes up every year, but I'm planning on it again this year.
Kathie I hope you took lots of pictures to share

cross_7":35l4k319 said:
I've tried to make plans to go to the roping fiesta but something comes up every year, but I'm planning on it again this year.
Cross_7, I didn't get out to Repps for the roping yesterday, and didn't take a single pic. Spent most of the day watching the Jr. livestock auction. That little fun-spoiler called "JOB" kept me away from the judging on Thursday. The local businesses are consistently good support for the local kids, and the fair's 4-H/FFA sale brings prices that are at the top in this state. Then, ambled through the quilt/cookies/art work displays. Topped off my AI nitrogen tank, and came home. Maybe rodeo tonight; maybe not. Trying to get some "domestic stuff" done around the house (my personal favorite -- NOT). Hubby is volunteering out in the Pioneer Village at the fairgrounds for the duration. For years he has byched and complained that they no longer had good displays of old guns and gear out there -- I swear, we'd go through that area every year just so he could repeat it again!! Anticipating the same for this year, I encouraged him to get in touch with some of the fair organizers and volunteer himself and his treasures, which he did. And he's just having a ball out there, talking history and old guns (he's very knowledgable on both topics) and swapping stories! I cautioned him that the fair was not a good place to talk politics.

The roping out at Repps' place brings in the big ones -- gives them a few days to compete in two venues for pretty good money, and just kick back with their families and relax a little. They just home-base from Repps. A roper friend of mine posted a pic on his FB page yesterday of his 6-7 year old son explaining the fine points of roping to Tuf Cooper. It was cute. If you ever do get out here for the fiesta, Cross_7, be sure and LMK.

Kathie in Thorp":1i942i2x said:
cross_7":1i942i2x said:
Cross_7, I didn't get out to Repps for the roping yesterday, and didn't take a single pic. Spent most of the day watching the Jr. livestock auction. That little fun-spoiler called "JOB" kept me away from the judging on Thursday. The local businesses are consistently good support for the local kids, and the fair's 4-H/FFA sale brings prices that are at the top in this state. Then, ambled through the quilt/cookies/art work displays. Topped off my AI nitrogen tank, and came home. Maybe rodeo tonight; maybe not. Trying to get some "domestic stuff" done around the house (my personal favorite -- NOT). Hubby is volunteering out in the Pioneer Village at the fairgrounds for the duration. For years he has byched and complained that they no longer had good displays of old guns and gear out there -- I swear, we'd go through that area every year just so he could repeat it again!! Anticipating the same for this year, I encouraged him to get in touch with some of the fair organizers and volunteer himself and his treasures, which he did. And he's just having a ball out there, talking history and old guns (he's very knowledgable on both topics) and swapping stories! I cautioned him that the fair was not a good place to talk politics.

The roping out at Repps' place brings in the big ones -- gives them a few days to compete in two venues for pretty good money, and just kick back with their families and relax a little. They just home-base from Repps. A roper friend of mine posted a pic on his FB page yesterday of his 6-7 year old son explaining the fine points of roping to Tuf Cooper. It was cute. If you ever do get out here for the fiesta, Cross_7, be sure and LMK.

Sounds like a good time
I'd like to see the kid giving Tuf some pointers, bet it was cute
They don't let my kind out of Texas I was talking about the San Angelo roping Fiesta. I couldn't make it up there, I get chilled when it gets below 70 degrees

cross_7":3umkuzgg said:
Kathie in Thorp":3umkuzgg said:

Sounds like a good time
They don't let my kind out of Texas I was talking about the San Angelo roping Fiesta. I couldn't make it up there, I get chilled when it gets below 70 degrees
Kathie in Thorp":3umkuzgg said:

Sounds like a good time

Cross_7, are you on FB? If so, message me and tell me how to find you there. I can share that pic w/ you . . . and just keep you up to date w/ what happens around here and my political rants! ;) There are several on CTB that I visit with. And it does not get below 70 here during the day at this time of year; it does cool down for good sleeping with a fan running.

Kathie in Thorp":3mitrzr9 said:
Did rodeo this afternoon. Great seat, right over the chutes. Good show! But I didn't use enough sunscreen. Pretty much too pink tonight.

And you remembered to take pictures ?

cross_7":158yom6e said:
Kathie in Thorp":158yom6e said:
Did rodeo this afternoon. Great seat, right over the chutes. Good show! But I didn't use enough sunscreen. Pretty much too pink tonight.

Didn't even take the cam, Cross_7. You just have to re-live it vicariously via my thorough and detailed re-telling. :lol: My remember'er isn't so good any more, but one of the calf-ropers (and it might just have been T. Brazile) made a run that was 4.? seconds -- FAST -- and his pigg'n string busted! A few high-flyers in the rough stock events, but everyone was able to walk away.

Kathie in Thorp":1x5baf5i said:
Yep, right here and right now. One of the best small rodeos in the country. And a separate roping competition that pays pretty good money for pros, amateurs, and pro/am hook-ups at WestStar Ranch (Repp family). Dave, you likely know some of these competitors, or their kids/nieces/nephews.

Kathie I sure wouldn't describe E-burg as a small rodeo. It is one that most all the big boys hit. Between there, Puyallup, Lewiston, Wall Walla, and Pendleton there is a lot of money to be won within a short period of time in a relatively small (in rodeo cowboy terms) geographic area.

Kathie in Thorp":1s97dwsr said:
cross_7":1s97dwsr said:
Kathie in Thorp":1s97dwsr said:

Didn't even take the cam, Cross_7. You just have to re-live it vicariously via my thorough and detailed re-telling. :lol: My remember'er isn't so good any more, but one of the calf-ropers (and it might just have been T. Brazile) made a run that was 4.? seconds -- FAST -- and his pigg'n string busted! A few high-flyers in the rough stock events, but everyone was able to walk away.
heII of a run, you sure it didnt kick free? ive never seen a pigging string break ..even the cheap ones

Alacowman, I thought the same thing . . . just repeating what the announcer said. And Dave's right -- E-burg is a very good rodeo! It's just not a HUGE thing, like Pendleton or Calgary; not sure it's as big as Nampa.

Kathie in Thorp":14ob6pgs said:
Alacowman, I thought the same thing . . . just repeating what the announcer said. And Dave's right -- E-burg is a very good rodeo! It's just not a HUGE thing, like Pendleton or Calgary; not sure it's as big as Nampa.
those announcers like to play things up.. i wasnt there but with a 4 second run.. he gambled with one wrap and a hooey, calf kicked free...

Latest posts