kind of scary

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Last night I was getting the cows up, had them up on top, and was on the 4 wheeler going up a hill, and all the sudden the 4 wheeler started going backwards and sideways, straight into the electric fence. I wasn't quite sure what was going on except, this is kind of one of my fears, going up hills, and having something happen just like this. Anyways I gave it gas thinking it was just muddy, but it only made it go faster downhill, so I got myself unscared for a bit, and then got off. In the processof getting off, I got shocked from the hot fence, and the 4 wheeler ended up going backwards more into the electric fence post.

Meanwhile...as this is all going on the cows and the herd bull come running down the hill. I got off and went over the fence into the woods, so not to get run over by the cows.

Turns out it was a broken tie rod end. Last week our other 4 wheeler was in the shop getting warranty work done, so we had it repaired and home, else I really would have been up the creek without a paddle.

I got this thing about hills, and bridges that are too high, it does funny things to my stomach and nerves.

This morning I conquered my fear and went up the hill on the other 4 wheeler, and had no problems.

GMN

Well I'm sorry you had trouble and glad you were not hurt. Good luck
Tom.

Glad you're ok. Those 4 wheelers can be kinda scary at times.

Couple years ago the throttle got stuck open on mine while checking cows. I thought I could get it unstuck, but before I could, I hit a patch of ice and rolled it. Thank God I only got a concussion. Good thing you're luckier than me.

Brute 23":1l985tec said:
What kind of atv was it? There have been several recalls on different atvs for their tie rods. Off hand some of the honda ranchers, some of the Kawie Brute Forces and many others. Might look into that.

Honda Foreman 2001, its a good machine, just so worn out, on the farm, in the manure, I am sure it looks alot older than it is.

GMN

GMN sorry to hear about your mishap,and glad you're alright.
But there are other ways to check the hotwire. :lol: :lol:

Cal

glad to hear that your ok .couldnt you of used the breaks to slow it down as it went down the hill.if its that wore out you need to get a new 1.but with milk prices in the dumper.it would be hard todo.

bigbull338":2qiwy0lq said:
glad to hear that your ok .couldnt you of used the breaks to slow it down as it went down the hill.if its that wore out you need to get a new 1.but with milk prices in the dumper.it would be hard todo.

I forgot to mention that, or I'm just so use to it, that I forgot, it doesn't have brakes.

I'm using the newer one now, and it is pretty nice. With all the mud, we avoid using the newer one to make it last longer.

GMN

use that machine thats what they are built for.an always keep your breaks working.the breaks mightve really saved you.

We took to using the old one, because the new one had shifiting issues, I could not rely on it when I was around the herd bull, because it would not shift down, or go into reverse most of the time. So we had it in the shop and it was fixed. When I say its muddy out there, its an understatement. The manure is so hard on the mechanics of the 4 wheeler that we wanted to save the red one as long as we could.

Until bigbull mentioned the brakes, I really had just completely forgotten it didn't have any, I'm so use to driving it, the way I do, where I use the downshift, etc, and other little tricks to get me by that it works. Its 100% correct that the brakes could have made a bid difference that day. its on the list of things to get fixed, now along with the tie rod end.

GMN

Latest posts