Killing woodchucks

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We have been shooting and trapping woodchucks for years. Just found a new way!
Double Bubble bubble gum. Throw a handfull down hole (5 or 6 with wrappers). Woodchucks can not digest the gum & it kills them. This is a great way to handle holes around the house.
We went to BJ's and bought a bucket of DB - on our 2nd bucket.

So that must answer why mamma always told me not to swallow my gum. :mrgreen: Why can't they digest it? Do they have a crop or something?

Supposedly ONLY woodchucks can't digest it - don't know why - and at this point - don't care, just so it KILLS THEM!!!
Years ago I was told that woodchucks are in the Ginness Book of Records, because they consume a ton of feed a year! that's a lot of grass/hay. Cornell Univ is using this method.

The version I heard, it was juicy fruit gum. We tried on on moles and voles. Didn't kill any of either that I can tell. :(

The moles are ruining our yard. We have one of those traps that spikes them, but every time we set it they just move. My husband gave them a couple of smoke bombs over the 4th of July, no effect. I'm startin to worry and think about the movie "Caddy Shack". :shock:

MO_cows":10qzz25i said:
The version I heard, it was juicy fruit gum. We tried on on moles and voles. Didn't kill any of either that I can tell. :(

The moles are ruining our yard. We have one of those traps that spikes them, but every time we set it they just move. My husband gave them a couple of smoke bombs over the 4th of July, no effect. I'm startin to worry and think about the movie "Caddy Shack". :shock:
:lol:

We've been fighting gophers in this area for the last 3-4 years. To the tune of 50,000+ on 80 acres, there has been all sorts of studies and counts and all that stuff that "they" do. So far Strychnine and Rozol (Rozenol?) do the most damage to them.

Supposedly woodchucks (ground hogs) (don't know if ground squirrels are same???) cannot digest it but other animals can. It does work. Lots of hubby's big farmer customers are using it. They have been big into trapping them with ?sp? Conolore ?sp? body traps. We've been using them last year & this year.

Jeanne if I was closer you would not have this problem. I luvs shootin them ghogs. Funny thing about the bubble gum I was told it worked on prarie dogs and was helping a Christian Camp get rid of some that supposedly could not be shot so we spent about 30 bucks on gum before we firured out it was BS. Fianlly after seeing the new athletic field ruined again told me "just shoot the dam things". :lol2:

Moles are the problem here. They plow up lawns. The chewing gum thing does not work on moles. But prairie dogs, who knows.
Sounds to me like an excuse to buy a good rifle.

john250":1fhb9tvd said:
Moles are the problem here. They plow up lawns. The chewing gum thing does not work on moles. But prairie dogs, who knows.

A....... good rifle John. You poor misguided soul......that's an excuse to buy 3 good rifles...and that's just for starters. :nod:

What scares me is I am thinking about selling some good rifles to buy a potential Donor cow. I must be slipping. lolololo

john250":1z70vu0b said:

Moles are bad here also. I cleared my place of them, it took me a couple of Summers. Moles are most active at midday, so I would go out in the morning and mash down their tunnels, then drag up a chair about noon and watch for them pushing up. It is easy to see the areas they are currently working in from the new dirt pushed up. I'd ease up to where they were pushing up and then stand still, it may take them a minute or two to start back, as they will stop when they feel the vibrations from you walking. I would take my pick axe and dig him up, usually with one swing. Once I got seven in one day. Still get one occasionally but they don't last long around here. After you catch them (if the initial swing don't do them in), You can take them to a friend's house and turn them loose, and listen to them gripe about them.

3waycross, if I remember correctly you had a nice 16 guage that needs to come to VA. :D
Probably would not buy a donor cow but it would be a start.

kenny thomas":2lhrbtwb said:
3waycross, if I remember correctly you had a nice 16 guage that needs to come to VA. :D
Probably would not buy a donor cow but it would be a start.

The Model 12? I am picking it up at the gunsmith tommorrow. He installed a new recoil pad. It's a gorgeous shotgun. 24in barrel with a IC choke from the factory.

Kenny I can sell rifles but with shotguns I am hard pressed to let them go. Expecially 16's. Right now I have in 16ga, a 1925 Lefever SXS Nitro Special, a 1945 Savage Stevens pump with less than a box of shells thru it, a 16ga O/U Rizzini , and now the Model 12.

problem with poison and maybe even bubble gum on ones around the house is that they die under the house or walls, crawl space etc and stink so bad you wish it had not worked. I am back to traps and 22LR. I do not want them dead under my shed etc. Jim

They are one step ahead of Jeanne :lol: .
woodchuck.jpg

I popped number 20 last night, 223 works fairly well - but nowhere near the aerial show of the 220 swift or the 22-250. Funny thing is I haven't been hunting for them yet.

alisonb":29vsfnju said:
They are one step ahead of Jeanne :lol: .
woodchuck.jpg
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: love it!!!
Hubby has gotten about 40 off of 30 acre hay field this year. Hay was getting too tall to be driving 4-wheeler over, so threw out the gum. He shoots them also, but only if he "happens" to see one while we're trap checking.

Latest posts