Killed vaccine question

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohrmundt Simmentals

Reaction score
I have been using triangle 10 for about 8 or 9 years and have had now complaints. I like the flexibility of a killed vaccine and would like to continue using one. Last and again this year it seems basically impossible to get tri 10 from anywhere. My question is. If i go with another killed vaccine will I still need boost in 2-3 with the new vaccine even though these animals have all had tri 10 within the last 12 months. Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brother ran into something similar when he couldnt find the 5 way mlv & Vib/Lepto he had been using on his cows. Vet said he can use another mlv without having to re booster as long as listed to cover same things on label.

That seems wrong to me would think vaccines might provide protection differently even if for same thing.

Chris. I checked Jeffers and Valley Vet. They no longer market Triangle 10 (killed virus). Triangle vaccine is manufactured by BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM VETMEDICA, INC. You should contact them. I use MLV vaccines, but I have wondered about the same issue; whether you need to establish the level of immunity that you get with the initial vaccination exposure or whether you just need to booster. I follow the label instructions on the vaccine I am switching to in order to establish the optimum level of immunity.

Yeah I asked at fleet farm today. They said that sometimes the fda goes in and inspects and shuts down productions. Then when they ramp back up it's people drugs first.

A bit of background on vaccines....

It takes about two weeks (from 10 to 21 days if I recall) for the immune response to kick in upon exposure to a foreign bug. On average, the response is about 65% (this is in theory based on statistics, in practice it is different and depends on the type of vaccine). A second exposure will boost this response to about 95% (and a third to 99%, again this is on paper)

In modified live vaccines, you are injecting a live organism (that is not supposed to cause disease). In theory again, by the time the immune system kicks in (two weeks later), that orgainsm would still be around to stimulate the immune system again (it is live therefore it is still multiplying), thus negating the need to booster in most live modified vaccines.

In killed vaccines, the antigens (the part of the bug that stimulates the immune response) are used up when immune system responds (because it is dead, it does not multiply). Thus in order to get 95% coverage, you should booster 2 to 3 weeks after the 1st shot.

Each manufacturer uses their own method for making a vaccine, they do not necessarily "make" the same antigen (the part that makes the immune response quick in) even though it may be the same bug. To oversimplify, one vaccine may use the "head" of the bug, another vaccine may be using the "legs" of the bug to stimulate the defense response.

Will using another brand to booster work? The short answer is: I am not sure that would work if you looking for 95% coverage. The manufacturers cover their behinds by saying booster with the same product and they will never fund studies using a competitor's product as a booster.

I talked it over with one of the vets yesterday. She said yes if you want to go by the letter of the law for the vaccine dirction. Then you should booster but she also said that she is very confident that if we don't booster we would be OK. Our normal vac schedule is to give tri. 10 and alpha 7 in the spring to cows and tri 10 in the fall. We give it twice a year because we've been told a few twices by our vets that all lepto vaccines don't last much past 6 months. So it's good to give it again in the fall. So I think I'm going to go with another product. I'm thinking Vira Shield 6 VL5 I think is the one. If I get an update from BI Vetmedica on why their products are not available I'll let you all know. Thanks for the responses.