Kill it or let it run

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Modern diesel trucks. I tend to leave it running while sitting and I'm out for a short time.
Trucks got 469 idle hour's to 887 drive.
Be interested in hearing opinions on best practices.

I've got a good bit of idle hours on mine, but it's where I eat dinner, cool off, warm up, and once in a while it's where I overnight in the back seat when we are working a ways from home.

callmefence":2z8642hp said:
Modern diesel trucks. I tend to leave it running while sitting and I'm out for a short time.

No matter the diesel if getting out for a short span I let it run I think the on and off is harder on your starter than the motor and the worst thing you can do IMO is start a cold diesel up and start revving it up.

I know this isn't what you're talking about but the auto start/stop feature on the newer F150s 2.7 gasser is annoying as heck when just coming to a quick stop at a rural crossroads. There are more queries on how to permanently disable the dang thing than anything else I've seen on them, and in stop/go traffic near Houston or on an interstate with a wreck or construction lane closure up ahead, it may cycle dozens of times.
You can turn it off, but every time you turn the ignition key back on after a real stop, it comes back on by default. Brother's truck had it on our trip thru Texas last year and I hated the dang thing. Supposed to save fuel and cut down on emissions.

I had an EGR problem with my Duramax that almost killed it dead on I 30 on my way to drop calves off at a sale. When I got back home my mechanic said it was carbon build up and idling was the worst thing for one. New EGR was $1600 at the time and the delete was $1400, but he wouldn't do the delete.

I have a 2014 F-250. It logs driving hours and idle hours. I would like to know how it determines if it is idle or run. Plus, I never idle, so why is it accumulating so many idle hours?

greybeard":36f751ka said:
I know this isn't what you're talking about but the auto start/stop feature on the newer F150s 2.7 gasser is annoying as heck when just coming to a quick stop at a rural crossroads. There are more queries on how to permanently disable the dang thing than anything else I've seen on them, and in stop/go traffic near Houston or on an interstate with a wreck or construction lane closure up ahead, it may cycle dozens of times.
You can turn it off, but every time you turn the ignition key back on after a real stop, it comes back on by default. Brother's truck had it on our trip thru Texas last year and I hated the dang thing. Supposed to save fuel and cut down on emissions.

Yes I really hate that it really PIZZES me off

I buy a vehicle to use it as I need. I've always deleted my trucks, put chips, tunes or programmers in them ASAP. I don't shut the truck off hot, I always idle for a few minutes to cool the oil. And I never start it up cold and take off, I like the oil to warm up for a few minutes in the engine and transmission.

I had to buy a programmer for my truck when I bought it to fix the economy mode where it switch's from 4cyl to 8 . I've been driving it 5 yrs next month and it has been running on all 8cyl pretty much the whole Time. My wife had a rental car a while back that was a hybrid. Sitting still you could not hear anything when it said it was supposed to be running on engine. If you pop the hood to check if engine was running u could hear it start. It baffled me for hours trying to figure out how it knew I was gonna open the hood.

M-5":2g7wngum said:
I had to buy a programmer for my truck when I bought it to fix the economy mode where it switch's from 4cyl to 8 . I've been driving it 5 yrs next month and it has been running on all 8cyl pretty much the whole Time. My wife had a rental car a while back that was a hybrid. Sitting still you could not hear anything when it said it was supposed to be running on engine. If you pop the hood to check if engine was running u could hear it start. It baffled me for hours trying to figure out how it knew I was gonna open the hood.

What do you have that cuts back from 8 to 4 ? My car truck does it and I want to stop it 5.3L chevy motor

callmefence":30556co7 said:
fence man from cummins once told me to shut them off when you stop. Just the process of slowing down from running speed to a complete stop was all the engine needed.

slick4591":mn5ko89i said:
I had an EGR problem with my Duramax that almost killed it dead on I 30 on my way to drop calves off at a sale. When I got back home my mechanic said it was carbon build up and idling was the worst thing for one. New EGR was $1600 at the time and the delete was $1400, but he wouldn't do the delete.
A high idle switch would take care of this. 1,800 rpm is what most of them rev an engine to.

TexasBred":2phuplj2 said:
callmefence":2phuplj2 said:
fence man from cummins once told me to shut them off when you stop. Just the process of slowing down from running speed to a complete stop was all the engine needed.
not arguing with the cummins man he should be
in the know.. I've always heard to let it idle some before you shut it down...cooling down the turbo..prolonging the life..

I have always thought it just depends on how long you plan to idle. When I did telephone work I was responsible for 4-6 trucks and their fuel bills. I had everybody shut them off no matter how long they were going to sit. Several guys tried to argue about it but they came around to it. Ups shuts theirs off at every stop now.

M-5":2lolkgsl said:

I just put mine in manual mode. It never goes into eco that way and it shifts through all the gears up to where you have it set. It goes back though every time I go to park. On my long trips it's no big deal but I'm sure I wouldn't do it around town.

cooling down the turbo after hauling is what id be more concerned with. not gonna worry about a starter thats for sure . prolonged idling on a clean diesel would be a issue too I think if its not worked hard under load often . Im on the road good bit . will park lock up go inside eat or whatever and truck will turn itself off in 15 min , do this often

Latest posts