Kill Date ?

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I finally weighed my steer I plan to have butchered and if i am right he weighs 740 lbs. And i will have to look back through my records to be sure. But I think he is around 18 to 20 months old.

I went ahead and vaccinated him again. Wormed, IBVR, Black leg, pink eye. He has been on grass, hay, salt, mineral, little grain.

I want to grain finish him. My intentions are to butcher him in the fall sometime. Am going to talk to a slaughter house and try to set up a kill date.

Any suggestions or opinions would be welcomed. I have 5 acres of pasture that i winter my bull on. That I plan on moving the steer to for finishing.

Is there any questions I should ask the butcher when i try to set up a kill date. Hang time etc..., ?

I finally weighed my steer I plan to have butchered and if i am right he weighs 740 lbs. And i will have to look back through my records to be sure. But I think he is around 18 to 20 months old.

I went ahead and vaccinated him again. Wormed, IBVR, Black leg, pink eye. He has been on grass, hay, salt, mineral, little grain.

I want to grain finish him. My intentions are to butcher him in the fall sometime. Am going to talk to a slaughter house and try to set up a kill date.

Any suggestions or opinions would be welcomed. I have 5 acres of pasture that i winter my bull on. That I plan on moving the steer to for finishing.

Is there any questions I should ask the butcher when i try to set up a kill date. Hang time etc..., ?
I would get on that kill date now. They are booking a year and a half out in this area. My guy quit booking because he was full through 2022.

I would get on that kill date now. They are booking a year and a half out in this area. My guy quit booking because he was full through 2022.
I plan on trying to set it up sometime this week. I was thinking sometime in October or November ?

Good luck getting a kill date that soon. Used to be we could get one with 4-8 weeks notice... and our regular guy would fit us in in an emergency... like once a cow broke her leg..... but I got dates for July, August and Sept of 2022.... and they are booked through from Oct through the end of Dec 2022....
Don't kn ow where you are, you might want to put a general area like Tenn or KY or TX in your avatar so we have a general idea.... @kenny thomas is near a newly opened place that he is getting dates fairly quickly....

Good luck getting a kill date that soon. Used to be we could get one with 4-8 weeks notice... and our regular guy would fit us in in an emergency... like once a cow broke her leg..... but I got dates for July, August and Sept of 2022.... and they are booked through from Oct through the end of Dec 2022....
Don't kn ow where you are, you might want to put a general area like Tenn or KY or TX in your avatar so we have a general idea.... @kenny thomas is near a newly opened place that he is getting dates fairly quickly....
Thanks for the suggestion on adding my location to my Avatar. Took care of it. I am located in Arkansas.

Year's ago I had an Uncle who worked as a union butcher for Year's. He later built his own slaughter house that he, his wife and two son's run. It's just my luck that the son's didn't keep it after my uncle retired.

Good luck. Had two steers, one for us one for our friends. Called for a date a week after we got them. Had to take a June of 2021 date. Needed a March date. They grew out too fast, had to sell. Friends decided not to try again. If anyone needs a two head appt, I'd auction it off lol.

I finally weighed my steer I plan to have butchered.... he weighs 740 lbs.
I think he is around 18 to 20 months old.
I want to grain finish him.
Any suggestions or opinions would be welcomed.
740 lbs at 18 months sounds small framed.
September 27 is 140 days from today.
gaining 2.75 lbs per day 140 x 2.75 = 385 lbs + 740 = 1125 lbs finished
First week of October slaughter date, if you can get it.

You should be ok as long as you don't want it USDA inspected they're already into 2022, I am in Central Arkansas and the place I use in Hot Springs was booking in August last month but they are fairly new, so some of the slaughterhouses that have been around forever are obviously booked out farther.
As far as hanging time 14 days is about standard and I wouldn't want any less than that.

Thanks that will be very helpful. I am going to see now if i can get a kill date.

You should be ok as long as you don't want it USDA inspected they're already into 2022, I am in Central Arkansas and the place I use in Hot Springs was booking in August last month but they are fairly new, so some of the slaughterhouses that have been around forever are obviously booked out farther.
As far as hanging time 14 days is about standard and I wouldn't want any less than that.
Thanks for the help. You located near maybe Hot Springs, Mena, maybe the Waldron areas ?

Would September 7th work ? That's the latest I have found so far with a 14 day hang time.

That is extremely light weight for 18 months. If you want to get a 2.75# gain, you will need to grain pretty well. Doesn't have to be fancy. Straight whole shell corn would be cheapest and extremely efficient. Start with 8# per day (about 1% bw) slowly increasing to 3% of his body weight, feeding in 2 meals. As long as he cleans it up.

That is extremely light weight for 18 months. If you want to get a 2.75# gain, you will need to grain pretty well. Doesn't have to be fancy. Straight whole shell corn would be cheapest and extremely efficient. Start with 8# per day (about 1% bw) slowly increasing to 3% of his body weight, feeding in 2 meals. As long as he cleans it up.
Thanks Jeannie

Latest posts