kids, critters, & country life

Help Support CattleToday:

txag

Reaction score
well, it's spring time here, too. grass greening up and wildflowers blooming. this morning my 3-yr old and i were on the 4-wheeler heading down the road to check a group of cows & saw a turtle crossing the road. of course we had to stop so she could see it & check it out. when we got back home i was weed-eating the fence line around the house & came upon two little baby cottontails. i called her over to check them out as well. of course she wanted to pet them & hold them so we talked about how the mama rabbit wouldn't want them to "stink" like people. :lol: just makes you realize what those city kids are missing out on.

Doesn't even have to be kids but they generally get the most excited. I really enjoy showing things to eople and seeing it through thir eyes for the first time. Reminds me of how furtunate I am to be able to see this stuff anytime I want.

dun

txag":17dzhz8k said:
well, it's spring time here, too. grass greening up and wildflowers blooming. this morning my 3-yr old and i were on the 4-wheeler heading down the road to check a group of cows & saw a turtle crossing the road. of course we had to stop so she could see it & check it out. when we got back home i was weed-eating the fence line around the house & came upon two little baby cottontails. i called her over to check them out as well. of course she wanted to pet them & hold them so we talked about how the mama rabbit wouldn't want them to "stink" like people. :lol: just makes you realize what those city kids are missing out on.

My two boys have a buddy from school out every now and then. Funny how there are so many fascinating things that seem normal to us. What really blows them away is being able to "roam" without a care in the world (except running out of gas). Day long trips on the four wheelers instead making trouble in the "hood". The mothers of those children love it. Deer in the back yard. Wild turkeys going to the roost every evening. Calves bouncing around like rabbits in the cool of afternoon. Horses grazing and swishing their tails. I ain't just whistling Dixie!

I laughed out loud one time when my daughter had a city friend out for the day. They were having a ball catching tadpoles and pollywogs in a concrete water trough. The girl had been leaning over and when she stood back up she lost her balance and almost fell in. When my daughter asked her what was wrong she explained that after looking down for so long, it made her dizzy to stand up and be able to see so far.

Craig-TX

My grandsons, 5 & 8, are like me, absolutely amazed at how much fun we can have with nothing but the farm and a little ambition. Heard once that grandkids were God's gift to you for not strangling your own kids! Our grandaughter is now 4 months old, can't wait to start taking her with us on our little adventures!

fit2btied":3liuueq4 said:
My grandsons, 5 & 8, are like me, absolutely amazed at how much fun we can have with nothing but the farm and a little ambition. Heard once that grandkids were God's gift to you for not strangling your own kids! Our grandaughter is now 4 months old, can't wait to start taking her with us on our little adventures!

The grandkids are a blast, this is even made better as Paw Paw can do no wrong. If I had known the grandkids were this much fun I would of had them first.

I came home from work yesterday, (81 degrees by the way!), and my boy and the neighbors grandkid, both 12 yrs old, had been given an old plastic bass buster type boat, and they were in the pond floating around in it! they said it only had a few holes, and they used duct tape and some bricks to cover up the holes. I'm sure they dragged it out of some junk pile, but it was a hoot to see them paddling with 1x2 bds I had laying around and trying to bail water before it got too full! Gosh, to be 12 yrs old again and not a care in the world, except how to make spring break longer!!

grandkids are great ,spoil them , and send them home ,, makes my son so mad i just tell him its payback ........

Spring has sprung. My favorite time of year. I know, I don't know how city kids live. We don't live in a big city, but still some of my friends have never even pet a horse let alone seen a goat. When I start talking about animals I have to speak very slow & in baby talk & they still don't understand.
Ellie May

Latest posts