Kids and farm equipment, how old? -poll

Help Support CattleToday:

How old is old enough for the average child to operate farm equipment?

• If their out of diapers get their butts to work

Votes: 5 8.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.7%

Votes: 6 10.2%

Votes: 2 3.4%

Votes: 9 15.3%

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Above 12

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
Several years ago I read about a family that had a landscaping business they were trimming trees one of the small children was putting some brush in a chipper got tangled in the brush and went through the chipper.

This may not be as cut and dried as it seems, but I can't see a kid under 10 being "in charge" of the operation of equipment. It's one thing to have a young child on a tractor with it in first gear in a level, open field to give him a feel for it. It's another to watch him disappear down the road to the field to perform a major task that he is "in charge" of, or to even have him doing something that may seem vanilla while the adults are distracted by something else.
I've noticed that my dad's idea of being safe was a lot different that what some adults idea of safe is these days.

I, or any other normal adult, could teach a kid the basic functions of a tractor, for example, and I'm sure the child could understand and do ok in a controlled situation, but there are at least two issues.

One is strength. It actually takes some physical strength to push the brakes, clutches, work levers, etc on equipment. I remember seeing how easily my dad could mash that brake and clutch, but it took a little more effort for me. If a person struggles to work the equipment, they shouldn't be in charge.

Another is decision making skills and experience. As I stated before, any normal kid could learn the basic functions of a tractor, but there are often decisions that have to be made if things do not go according to plan. Younger kids don't have the experience to draw from.

I'm sure we all let our kids do things that could be dangerous, and if they make it to 30 with no issues, we can all brag about how they have been mowing hay since they were in diapers and how they had to stop and take a bottle and get burped before they finished the last couple of acres. Yep, we raised them right.

On the other hand, if I had a young child who had to leave this world at the hands of a piece of farm equipment, I'm sure I would reflect on what happened and my role in it. If I found myself to be negligent or ignorant in any way, that would not be good.

I'd also have to wonder if I'd rather be sitting by my child at age 30 and he is perhaps a little more ignorant in the ways of equipment than my neighbors kids who were driving equipment at a much younger age, or would having him in the ground before age 10 be worth anything that might be considered a positive from what he was doing on equipment at a delicate age.

And before anyone else mentions it, I realize that just because one doesn't drive farm equipment at a tender age doesn't mean he won't die before age 10, but I trust everyone understands what I'm saying.

If someone lives in an area where there is tobacco to plow, that job can start very very young. Nothing behind you to run you over. Flat level ground. Slow speed.

It is child dependent. My son has been driving tractors and my manual one ton since he was six and is safe around equipment. He's thirteen and has a small engine repair business started and I have no problem telling him to take my truck and go get ____ or having him do light tractor work... Still can't trust him to microwave his own dinner without supervision and it's best to just have him set his laundry out for someone else to wash but anything equipment is safe.
My daughter, on the other hand, is eleven and can cook a seven course meal and clean up after it without supervision but can't figure out how to start the mule without me sitting next to her reminding her. She's still not safe to drive the tractor without me standing on the step helping her steer at an idle. She does "get" cows though. I mean really gets it. I can have her help with any type of cow stuff and she understands where to stand, which cows to watch, when/how to move.

Bright Raven":3nljnbsq said:
JW IN VA":3nljnbsq said:
Average farm kid 12 or so

Average kid-I'd be a little worried at 18
That made me laugh and I tend to agree.
Last summer a local 18 yr old who grew up in town got a warehouse job driving fork lift, passed company safety
training ect. Tragic story short, he made a bad mistake and died in a fork lift accident when he panicked in an accident
he caused, no one else was injured.

herofan":1ohig2q5 said:
This may not be as cut and dried as it seems, but I can't see a kid under 10 being "in charge" of the operation of equipment. It's one thing to have a young child on a tractor with it in first gear in a level, open field to give him a feel for it. It's another to watch him disappear down the road to the field to perform a major task that he is "in charge" of, or to even have him doing something that may seem vanilla while the adults are distracted by something else.
I've noticed that my dad's idea of being safe was a lot different that what some adults idea of safe is these days.

I, or any other normal adult, could teach a kid the basic functions of a tractor, for example, and I'm sure the child could understand and do ok in a controlled situation, but there are at least two issues.

One is strength. It actually takes some physical strength to push the brakes, clutches, work levers, etc on equipment. I remember seeing how easily my dad could mash that brake and clutch, but it took a little more effort for me. If a person struggles to work the equipment, they shouldn't be in charge.

Another is decision making skills and experience. As I stated before, any normal kid could learn the basic functions of a tractor, but there are often decisions that have to be made if things do not go according to plan. Younger kids don't have the experience to draw from.

I'm sure we all let our kids do things that could be dangerous, and if they make it to 30 with no issues, we can all brag about how they have been mowing hay since they were in diapers and how they had to stop and take a bottle and get burped before they finished the last couple of acres. Yep, we raised them right.

On the other hand, if I had a young child who had to leave this world at the hands of a piece of farm equipment, I'm sure I would reflect on what happened and my role in it. If I found myself to be negligent or ignorant in any way, that would not be good.

I'd also have to wonder if I'd rather be sitting by my child at age 30 and he is perhaps a little more ignorant in the ways of equipment than my neighbors kids who were driving equipment at a much younger age, or would having him in the ground before age 10 be worth anything that might be considered a positive from what he was doing on equipment at a delicate age.

And before anyone else mentions it, I realize that just because one doesn't drive farm equipment at a tender age doesn't mean he won't die before age 10, but I trust everyone understands what I'm saying.
and just how are they going to get that experience if they are never allowed to do it???? i would trust a 7 year old with hours of experience more then a 20 year old with no experience on a skid steer!!

Merriam-webster dictionary definition of Experience

knowledge gained by actually doing or living through something (copy and paste)

ez14.":1nqph0vr said:
herofan":1nqph0vr said:

and just how are they going to get that experience if they are never allowed to do it???? i would trust a 7 year old with hours of experience more then a 20 year old with no experience on a skid steer!!

They gain it by an adult riding along. Not by being turned loose on it. The big difference in a tractor or truck even in low gear and a skid steer is the kid has control over the speed in a skid steer and a kid that age is not ready to make decisions that need to be made when something goes wrong.

Craig Miller":38kfazdl said:
ez14.":38kfazdl said:
herofan":38kfazdl said:

They gain it by an adult riding along. Not by being turned loose on it. The big difference in a tractor or truck even in low gear and a skid steer is the kid has control over the speed in a skid steer and a kid that age is not ready to make decisions that need to be made when something goes wrong.
it was my understanding that the mother was right there! if not and they just sent a 5 year old a 3 year old and a skid steer out into a field with no supervision well that is a completely different story and someone should definitely get in trouble!

ez14.":11vhbown said:

I prefer the real life definition.
Experience = The ability to recognize a mistake the second time you make it.

For tractors, I think the physical ability to operate it is as important as the maturity to do the job.. Skid steers are deceiving because nothing takes strength to operate.

I would have them run a mini excavator at a young age provided the ground is about level, even a crawler, before a skidsteer.. Though they are "protected" in the cab, nothing around the unit would be safe.. poor visibility, etc.

We bought our place when I was 12, and by the time I was 13 I was raking hay and using the pipe wagon.. though I think I was probably 15 or so when I started really working with PTO powered stuff, swathers, balers, and not supervised.
I've had some Oh shyte moments of course too.
There are even different models of tractors with vastly different hazards.. I consider a MF165 about the most dangerous thing ever made.. high, light, grabby brakes, Multipower models have no engine braking in "low", and a PTO engagement that's just full of demons... Massey 255 I have on the other hand has far better weight and balance, no coasting multipower, and a better PTO design

ez14.":mz10fmle said:
herofan":mz10fmle said:

How? By waiting until they are a reasonable age to operate it.
It's amazing what people debate these days. Here we are trying to convince people that it's ok for children to operate heavy machinery.

dun":33hcwd86 said:
ez14.":33hcwd86 said:

I prefer the real life definition.
Experience = The ability to recognize a mistake the second time you make it.
either way they got to do it to gain the experience!

I was very young when I started driving tractor. Probably about 5 or 6. I know I was pulled over by the State Police when I about 8.

Alan":9pd6z96l said:
How old is old enough for a child to start operating farm equipment? For sake of argument let's say a skid steer......... and I know "every kid is different". So please don't play that card, just your average kid.

My 3 yr old can do things that my 5 yr old can't do (and is scared to do). So I imagine by the time my youngest is 5, she'll be doing the same things the 7yr old, so maybe it should change to "kid maturity level?"

And I abstained from the voting because I don't have the experience you guys do. But I would think the average mature 7yr old could begin the basic operations of some farm equipment. At 3 and 5 mine already want to drive the ATV alone, and both want to steer the tractor with me.

sim.-ang.king":9e6fhu8c said:
I won't say every kid is different, but it really depends on if they can reach the clutch or not. ;-) :cowboy:

You do it like I did when I was 6 - You jump out of the seat and land on the clutch and you can still see under the steering wheel.

Obviously I said 6 because that's when I started.

One thing to remember on the work ethic portion of this is that not everyone's adult livelihood will depend on a skid steer and a tractor. Just because a kid isn't rolling out of bed at 4:00 every morning at age 5 and going to the fields doesn't mean he will be a failure in life. There are other things.

herofan":e69s3100 said:
One thing to remember on the work ethic portion of this is that not everyone's adult livelihood will depend on a skid steer and a tractor. Just because a kid isn't rolling out of bed at 4:00 every morning at age 5 and going to the fields doesn't mean he will be a failure in life. There are other things.

I doubt any one here will ever say you should force a kid on a piece of equipment.

To this day my brother does not drive tractors, manual shift vehicles, motorcycles, or any thing of that nature. His equipment skills end with a lawn mower and weed eater... But he knows how to work... and he knows how to be useful. My parents never forced him to operate any thing he didn't want to but they did force him to get out there and do some thing. He puts his suite on and walks in to do asset management mon-fri. He can walk out and dig post holes with the best of them on the weekend.

Brute 23":3ad7wazh said:
herofan":3ad7wazh said:

I doubt any one here will ever say you should force a kid on a piece of equipment.

To this day my brother does not drive tractors, manual shift vehicles, motorcycles, or any thing of that nature. His equipment skills end with a lawn mower and weed eater... But he knows how to work... and he knows how to be useful. My parents never forced him to operate any thing he didn't want to but they did force him to get out there and do some thing. He puts his suite on and walks in to do asset management mon-fri. He can walk out and dig post holes with the best of them on the weekend.
a good work ethic carries over to anything! Even if he is going to sit at a computer all day to make a living

Latest posts