Kicking the stall

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a two year old filly who started kicking the stall walls whenever she sees me at dinner time or breakfast. she does not kick unless it is time to eat...she also kicks at turn out time. She kicks hard enough to crack 2x8's. I know she is being a total &@$&#@* ... brat. but any suggestion on how to get her to stop. She's a nice horse to handle and a pretty sweet horse to have. It's just if she see we have a treat, food or turn out she throws a fit! I've tried a kick chain she breaks it in a couple of days. has any tried kick boots?

Thanks, Alan

[email protected]

She needs some specialized training. She has "conditioned/trained" YOU to feed her when she acts up. When she displays this behavior, consider ignoring her (non-reinforcement of unacceptable behavior); and, then, when she is behaving properly even for a few seconds, or minutes, give some of the feed. Continue with this procedure. SHE should be the target of the training, not you. My suspicion is that she has been accidentally "trained" to kick the stall when you feed her. Food is a powerful reinforcer. Food offered promptly after a mis-behavior reinforces the mis-behavior. Need a "time-delay" between mis-behavior and the onset of "acceptable" behavior. I have a training pamphlet addressing positive reinforcement training issues with any type of animal. E-mail me for more info.

[email protected]

> She needs some specialized
> training. She has
> "conditioned/trained"
> YOU to feed her when she acts up.
> When she displays this behavior,
> consider ignoring her
> (non-reinforcement of unacceptable
> behavior); and, then, when she is
> behaving properly even for a few
> seconds, or minutes, give some of
> the feed. Continue with this
> procedure. SHE should be the
> target of the training, not you.
> My suspicion is that she has been
> accidentally "trained"
> to kick the stall when you feed
> her. Food is a powerful
> reinforcer. Food offered promptly
> after a mis-behavior reinforces
> the mis-behavior. Need a
> "time-delay" between
> mis-behavior and the onset of
> "acceptable" behavior. I
> have a training pamphlet
> addressing positive reinforcement
> training issues with any type of
> animal. E-mail me for more info. Good idea Bill, another thought is how much exercise/work the filly gets, some animals need more exercise than others just because of energy levels. Try getting her out for her exercise sessions and making her work, even if it is just on a longe line, it sounds to me like she is just bored and since she can't speak our language she uses what she can to get your attention. Take her out at least twice a day and work her until she has a decent sweat going, not lathered up though or she may sour on that tack. If at all possible, try for 3 or even 4 times a day until she settles down.Beth

[email protected]

Latest posts