Kicking off question

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I was wanting to get some theories, as to why young heifers/cows will except a calf, clean it up, mother it, talk to it, run you off from it. etc. Then when it looks like everything is on the road, every time the calf starts getting close to finding the utter she kicks at the calf. This behavior always ticks me off! What causes this?? Seems like more times than not, if I just leave them alone they are fine in a few hours. It seems to me that its more common on the harder births. I've always thought it was because they relate that calf to pain for awhile? I'd love to hear what you all think causes this behavior. Reason for the question: I had a second calf heifer that had a calf last year (unassisted) the calf was standing when I had to leave for a few hours. When I return bout 5 hours later found the calf dead. Weather was not a factor as it was around 40 degrees. Now fast forward to this year she calved unassisted with a lot of kicking at her sides, she picked the mud to calf. :bang: I tried to drive her to rolled out hay the dumby went right back there. She tried to have it standing for the longest time, then finally lied down and got busy. She had it 3/4's out then stood the calf must hung with its feet bout 4" of the ground for 3 to 4 minutes and finally flopped out. Anyway after the calf wollering around in the mud for a while trying to stand, I drug the calf to the unrolled hay. Went and fed the others cows keeping an eye on the young pair. The calf never nursed. So I took them to the barn gave the calf "Calf Guard" & Nursemate". This calf is not very aggressive trying to nurse. But everytime he would get close she was kicking at him??? I just left them for the night I'm going over now. I hope that calf is wearing her out! LOL B&G Thanks for input.

I normally put it down to confusion and tenderness of the udder on the heifers part.

When the calf nurses, the uterus contracts due to hormonal effects, so if it was a hard calving this might cause pain. Just a thought.

ANAZAZI":4su5xsb4 said:
When the calf nurses, the uterus contracts due to hormonal effects, so if it was a hard calving this might cause pain. Just a thought.

Interesting point. Thanks for the response. I went over this morning and found a shiny black nipple. :banana: BTW, that's one thing I like about blacks utters, is its a lot easier to tell if they've been nursed than a pink utter. :hide: IMO B&G

ANAZAZI":24396p7a said:
I agree. Uterine contractions, full painful udder, confusion. I think all play a role.

Yes, "Shiney black nipples" are an advantage!

Latest posts