Keyline cultivation

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
You couldn't put a terrace in my fields if you were carrying a gun and wearing a mask. I've drove over, mowed over, sprayed over, etc, all the terraces I care to go over. I've took one out with a dozer and grader and I'll take the rest out over time.

Thanks for the link. I have not gotten through it all yet.
I am doing most of the things they mention to sequester Carbon. Though I am doing it mainly to improve organic matter in my soil vs. there concern for global warming.
My latest project- turning waste (mainly dead trees) into Charcoal. The resulting Carbon is the fastest way to raise the fertility in the soil. At little cost. Which helps the bottom line.
The Aussies are ahead of us in most soil related subjects. They seem to be more open to trying something new.
Spit the questions at us. We all have a chance to learn.

gberry":17wvy6l9 said:
As far as I can tell, it doesn't use any terraces.
You are correct it appears. Sorry, I just looked briefly at the photos. After looking again they were irrigation ditches. I don't want any of those either but at least they serve a useful purpose.

Bluestem":2ksged0x said:
Thanks for the link. I have not gotten through it all yet.
I am doing most of the things they mention to sequester Carbon. Though I am doing it mainly to improve organic matter in my soil vs. there concern for global warming.
My latest project- turning waste (mainly dead trees) into Charcoal. The resulting Carbon is the fastest way to raise the fertility in the soil. At little cost. Which helps the bottom line.
The Aussies are ahead of us in most soil related subjects. They seem to be more open to trying something new.
Spit the questions at us. We all have a chance to learn.

Well, the question I have is about the actual tillage that is recommended by Yeomans. I read his first book on the second link above and found it very interesting, but had some questions about the depth of tillage and whether three passes were made back to back during conversion year tillage. The basic concept seems to be to convert the top few inches of dirt into a compost heap to improve and create new topsoil. I also don't care that much about carbon sequestration as discussed in the first link, but would love to have better soil. His approach passes the common sense test and so I am interested in some more details. I have actually ordered his most recent book, Water for Every Farm. Hopefully, it will answer some of my questions.

If you are interested, there are some interesting videos on YouTube. Just search for Darren Doherty. There are about 20 5-10 minute videos that I found interesting although Mr. Doherty is definitely cashing in on environmental cleanup/carbon sequestration.

Latest posts