Kentucky Whiskey Cake for Hillsdown

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
My Grandma was from Hazard County, Kentucky. One of the relatives from back there sent her a cookbook of compiled local recipes, most of them old-timey. That's where this recipe came from. You better have a stand mixer or arms of steel for this one! Batter is very thick and sticky. And if you really like your bourbon, pour a little over the cake when done and cooled, and also put a paper towel or cloth soaked with bourbon in the center hole and let it sit a couple days and permeate. Not so much it gets soggy, though.

5 c. flour (sift before measuring)
1 lb. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 lb. butter (3 sticks; I prefer salted because there is no other salt in the recipe)
6 eggs, separated
1 pt. bourbon (Gentleman Jack is my preference)
1 lb dried cherries or red candied cherries, cut prettily in half if you can take the time, rough chopped if not.
1 Tbsp. nutmeg
1 lb shelled pecan halves
1 lb chopped dates
1 tsp baking powder

Soak cherries and dates in bourbon overnight. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat well. Add soaked fruit with the liquid, mix. Add the flour, reserving a small amount for the nuts. Add nutmeg and baking powder, mix. Fold in egg whites which have been beaten to soft peaks. Toss pecans with the reserved flour and fold in. Bake in large greased tube pan, lined with greased parchment or wax paper, for 3-4 hours at 275.

Very close to a recipe we have, but it has golden raisins instead of dates. Ours calls for the cake to be wrapped in cheesecloth soaked in bourbon in the refrigerator. My favorite by far. :clap:

It's not a waste. You don't drink on an empty stomach do you? Well now you can kill 2 birds with one stone. Or kill 2 birds and get stoned on dessert, or something like that.

And because liquor has gone metric, the 500 ml bottle is more than a pint and there's some left over for the chef. :banana:

MO_cows":1mcw4euj said:
It's not a waste. You don't drink on an empty stomach do you? Well now you can kill 2 birds with one stone. Or kill 2 birds and get stoned on dessert, or something like that.

And because liquor has gone metric, the 500 ml bottle is more than a pint and there's some left over for the chef. :banana:

1 pint is 500mls (only reason I know this is because of bottle feeding :lol2: ) 2 pints is a litre and 4 pints is 2 litres or 2000 mls. Our whiskey usually is sold in 750's so you would definitely have enough for sampling.

That is quite the recipe MO thank you for posting it.

I think I would use Jack Daniels in it. What about even grand marnier or Drambuie the possibilities are endless you could make a different cake every week.. :nod:

I have to copy this and send it to my BIL he will love it especially the sampling part.. :lol2:

Shame on me, I must have started sampling too soon. I SWEAR, I measured out 2 cups, which makes one pint, to soak the fruit in and had a little Jack left over from a 500 ml bottle??

I have wondered about making it with other spirits, too. Especially brandy or rum. But somehow the bourbon and pecans just go together.

Latest posts