Kentucky No Longer Horsing Around?

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
On Monday it was announced that Frederick Douglass High School would be known as the Stallions. Quicker than you can type change.org, Diane Cahill had started a petition to change the name because it is "inappropriate and sexist," especially to the girls' sports teams.

She delivered the petition to school board superintendent Manny Caulk, who offered up this alternative.

"Moving forward, we will keep the Keeneland green and orange colors and horse image in the school logo to pay homage to Lexington's rich history in the horse industry, but we will allow the incoming students of Frederick Douglass High School to choose their mascot," Caulk said in a statement. "We've already received suggestions of Thoroughbreds or Racers as possible alternatives to Stallions and we will solicit additional ideas from our students before they choose a horse-themed mascot grounded in the land's equestrian heritage."

"What message does this send to our daughters and granddaughters? Our sons and grandsons?" the Lexington Herald Leader reported the petition said. "We demand that the name be changed to something more gender neutral and more indicative of Douglass's brilliant mind, successful career and vision for equality and to send a message to all students that they are respected and valued."

This sounds crazy. What if the stallion chooses to identify as a mare? What then? And the school is named after a man. Or was he really a man of just some left wing lebanese person who identified as a man and changed its name from Fredrica to Frederick.

Sounds like the simplest thing to do would be to just can all the girls sports teams so no one will be offended.

The could call it "three horses". Nag, Nag, Nag, like my first wife

I think the school needs to hire an outside consulting firm to determine just how traumatized past female alumni are because of the school's mascot name. Seems only fair that future students have that information before deciding. That should only cost the school 100k or more.

This whole B//.S...T with all the Sexist and unfair and all that crap is way out of hand. I am a female and don't see why the girls teams can't pick their own names and leave the guys as is. But then the school board members would have so show that they have some ba//s and god forbid they do that. I for one am so sick of this crap of politically correct that I could puke. If the school would instill an ounce of pride and sense of self worth in its' students as PEOPLE then the "stereotypes" would be a non-issue. Men and women ARE NOT EQUAL. Each has it's own strengths and the sooner all these namby-pamby idiots wake up and realize it the better we are all gonna be.

I think they should go with "Geldings".. Woranch kinda hinted at that already..

I've always called a V6 Mustang a Ford Gelding.. it's missing a pair!