Kentucky Derby today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I plan to watch it, and the rest of the Triple Crown races. The thought occurred to me that I should make a batch of Mint Juleps; then my good sense returned when I remembered meeting my first and second (and only) Mint Juleps on a training trip to Atlanta a few years back. Just about knocked me on my butt! I don't know how anyone could sit on the porch in a rocker under Magnolia trees and sip on them all afternoon -- and still be conscious. :lol:

I've never been much for sweet drinks . I just pulled a chair under the big live oak and popped the top on a natural light . It 90 degrees right now .

No mint juleps for me, but I did place a bet this morning. Not much of a betting man and I think I've only bet on the horses 3 or 4 times in my life. Just had a hunch so I put $20 on El Padrino to win at 27-1 odds. He finished 13th. Oh, well.

Great race though!. I love those kind of finishes. Baefert has to wonder if he had held that colt back a little if he would have had a little more left at the end...who knows.

I agree, Bobby B's (sp) horse looked great and was asked to do a lot that race. The commentators made the comment that he was asked to un closer to the rail where the footing was not as good as a little further out. Which is where the winner ran and he came from the 19 hole, ran a great race. The Preakness should be good although I see very little chance for a triple crown, my thoughts more likely 3 different winners in the three races.

Kathie who was the horse from Idaho? He's close enough to be considered local.

Alan":2fwkwkfh said:
I agree, Bobby B's (sp) horse looked great and was asked to do a lot that race. The commentators made the comment that he was asked to un closer to the rail where the footing was not as good as a little further out. Which is where the winner ran and he came from the 19 hole, ran a great race. The Preakness should be good although I see very little chance for a triple crown, my thoughts more likely 3 different winners in the three races.

I agree.

Alan":3h30yiqm said:

ROUSING SERMON, out of Parma, ID. Finished 8th.

My parents came out to see me once during my brief visit at Ft. Benning. My mom was wetting her pants to try a "real" mint julep made by a "real"southerner. We went a few places and nobody knew what she was talking about. It was going to ruin her trip...
Finally, the last night of the trip, my dad walked up to the bar and told the guy, "I don't care what it is, just make it minty and julepy and call it a mint julep... she doesn't know the differance..." He flopped twenty down and a few minutes later a real honest to goodness "mint julep" was going down the throat and to this day my mother swears it's the best drink ever. :roll:

They ARE good, but they're, like, triple-stacked with booze, and it only takes a couple to make you wonder whose legs you're walking on, cuz yours won't respond to instructions!

Can't say I've ever had one but like JS, I'm not too fond of sweet drinks. I do like a Bloody Mary and once in a while a little JD with Ginger Ale. That's about as sweet as I can go.

Latest posts