Kentucky 28 - (14) Miss State 7. This is crazy!

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe if I was getting paid millions to throw a football I'd put up with the bullshyte attitudes

But I can say that at any wage I'm liable to get, boss throws temper tantrums, insults, etc around he can kiss my arse goodbye.. Or I'll just stop trying to be a good employee and become a shmuck.

bball":slpax3i5 said:
There was a helluva lot more going on between Kiffin and Saban at that time than just a crap play call that resulted in a fumble. Tensions were high behind the scenes.
Saban is the top of the food chain in college football. Strong type A personalities have little to no patience for anything less than perfection. It's why his team's are consistently elite. I played my high school ball for a similar type of coach. He remains one of the winningest coaches in Indiana HS football history and he's been dead for almost 20 years. The fact is this type of behavior correlates to high level accountability which correlates to success. It has worked effectively for centuries in military training also. It's never fun to be the recipient.
As far as life and death goes, football in Alabama. Nuff said! :p

You and I both work medical. Is there any situation that requires perfection more than a trauma situation? Maybe war, certain police situations, but certainly not football. If we have a doctor that acts that way, they are brought before a board of their peers and disciplined.

Mediocrity GB is the best most people can do today, and most cant ever do that, but they have a good excuse why they cant, doesn't matter if its sports or real life, either shyt or get off the pot.

bball":2zv4n3oj said:
There was a helluva lot more going on between Kiffin and Saban at that time than just a crap play call that resulted in a fumble. Tensions were high behind the scenes.
Saban is the top of the food chain in college football. Strong type A personalities have little to no patience for anything less than perfection. It's why his team's are consistently elite. I played my high school ball for a similar type of coach. He remains one of the winningest coaches in Indiana HS football history and he's been dead for almost 20 years. The fact is this type of behavior correlates to high level accountability which correlates to success. It has worked effectively for centuries in military training also. It's never fun to be the recipient.

If you visit Alabama, there is only one question they care about. "Do you support Auburn or Alabama"

My daughter is at Alabama now and I know that the fans in Tuscaloosa were ready for Kiffin to go. Not because of football, but because of his off the field conduct. College bars and college-age girls is not a good combination for a high profile coach. Just google "Joey Freshwater" and you will see what I am talking about.

He had the same conduct the one year he was at Tennessee. Wrecked a "loaner" Lexus after a night of drinking and a couple of co-eds in the car. He is a brilliant offensive mind, but he has maturity issues.

TexasBred":brbdsldr said:
greybeard":brbdsldr said:
anyone notice?
Unranked Texas A&M beat Ky today.

Bright Raven has been suspiciously quiet. :lol2:

:lol:

It was going to happen. I am not convinced yet they are authentic. They did go into overtime.

Bright Raven":31900jy8 said:
TexasBred":31900jy8 said:
greybeard":31900jy8 said:
anyone notice?
Unranked Texas A&M beat Ky today.

Bright Raven has been suspiciously quiet. :lol2:

:lol:

It was going to happen. I am not convinced yet they are authentic. They did go into overtime.

Something was in the air yesterday. Last week on college pick em my record was 19-6. This week I was 9-16. A lot of upsets yesterday.

Bestoutwest":2eyk2932 said:
Bright Raven":2eyk2932 said:
Best. I am not a sports fan but I lurk. I don't watch games but for some reason, I do watch sports news and read.

Why is he a butthole? Dang it. He is doing what he is paid to do. He is not auditioning for " Mr. CONGENIALITY". I still say most of the dislike for him is "sour grapes".

I understand "passion" and getting upset when things don't go your way during sports. I've played, watched, been a ref, etc. There isn't a place in sports for just undressing someone verbally b/c they made a mistake in a game. Unless it's life or death (ex. war, trauma room, OR when someone is crapping out), there's no need for screaming at someone. Just because there's big money involved doesn't make it excusable.

As for the sour grapes, in the grand scheme of the universe who cares who wins at throwing a leather covered air bladder on Saturday or Sunday. I have no team. No skin in the game. But I enjoy watching a coach that coaches by lifting players up than tearing them down. Washington's Chris Peterson is a good example. Pete Carroll is another.

Here's a good example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-JGDBd4ls

I played for a coach much like Saben went on to coach under Bum Phillips.......99.9% of the team would kill for him. Even after the vicious a$$ eating.

Bestoutwest":174cstqo said:
Bright Raven":174cstqo said:
Bestoutwest":174cstqo said:

I have, and it was undeserved. I should have quit, but I wasn't as ballsy as I am today. I have also been yelled at by MDs, PHDs and patients who were lucky their brain continued the breathing response. I will stand by my original assessment that unless it's life or death, there's no reason the yell at someone.
:bs: :bs: :bs:

Bestoutwest":384o0iv6 said:
bball":384o0iv6 said:

You and I both work medical. Is there any situation that requires perfection more than a trauma situation? Maybe war, certain police situations, but certainly not football. If we have a doctor that acts that way, they are brought before a board of their peers and disciplined.

This is an interesting post Best. These young men are still learning the game. Perfecting their craft. You and i are both medical professionals. We have already learned our craft. We have both completed the schooling and education requirements for our respective fields. Nursing school was no picnic. They make it very clear what the expectations are and if you can't or won't abide, then you will be gone without hesitation. Plenty of opportunities to be humiliated for not knowing information that you're responsible for; feelings be darned. We both know very well there are still plenty of old school docs and surgeons that will come in screaming and throwing charts. I have observed these docs and surgeons patients are cared for more closely by nursing staff. I have story after story about surgeons, orthopods, cardiologists, etc. One of the worst was a surgeon who had done a skin flap repair on a quadriplegic pt and the RN had the pt laying on it.
There is no need for those antics in a trauma situation because everyone is trained and experienced with their role in that situation-ACLS, PALS, etc and the natural repititon of those code situations. We get better with every occurrence hopefully.

Saban is nothing more than a basic training drill sergeant for the NFL. If these guys can make it through his training, their success is almost a guarantee on the NFL stage. They have been groomed to deal with the high level of accountability in the NFL, and reap the benefits of surviving his rigors. The guy isn't just an azzhole, he is actually a very, very good football coach too.
I have stomached a whole lot worse from bosses for a lot less money than these kids are getting(scholarship to Alabama) and will make in their future.
Adversity breeds character.

PS, nice job on the NFL game picks thus far.

bball":14arjghu said:
The guy isn't just an azzhole, he is actually a very, very good football coach too.
I have stomached a whole lot worse from bosses for a lot less money than these kids are getting(scholarship to Alabama) and will make in their future.
Adversity breeds character.
I have a friend whose daughter works in the Alabama Football operations office. They are instructed not to speak to Saban and not even congratulate him on a win. If he speaks to them, they are told to respond quickly an move on. If possible they are not to make eye contact.
I had heard things like this in the past, but he volunteered it when we were talking about his daughter. My daughter is there on scholarship, and they have a top rate university, thanks in part to winning at football. They are rolling in cash and it shows. Winning equals donations to education. (It may not be right, but it is fact).

#2 Georgia forevermore got their a$$ handed to them today. It's one thing to get beat bc you were inferior. It's another to simply not perform. Like the George Strait song "Just give it away". If we play like we played today we could potentially have serious trouble with Auburn, Florida, and Kentucky. And who knows, maybe even Georgia Tech. LSU looked superb. UGA looked like a high school team. Bet Kirby makes them run some extra drills next week!

Where, is "addicted to Quack" Alan?
Upset weekend.
#17 Oregon Ducks beat #7 Wash Huskies by 3 pts. :shock:
Mich St upsets #8 Penn St by 4 pts.

#13 LSU upsets #2 Georgia, and wasn't even close. 36-16 :shock: :shock:

Longhorns suddenly find themselves 6-1, hanging on to beat Baylor 23-17 but played most of the game without starting QB Ehlinger.
Texas hasn't been bowl eligible this early since their undefeated reg season 2009.

JMJ Farms":25es7oba said:
#2 Georgia forevermore got their a$$ handed to them today. It's one thing to get beat bc you were inferior. It's another to simply not perform. Like the George Strait song "Just give it away". If we play like we played today we could potentially have serious trouble with Auburn, Florida, and Kentucky. And who knows, maybe even Georgia Tech. LSU looked superb. UGA looked like a high school team. Bet Kirby makes them run some extra drills next week!
Fromm was having a bad day, but idiotic play calling by the coaches was the biggest problem. They kept running the same failed pass plays over and over when it was plain as the nose on your face that Jake Fromm was having an off day. He over threw, under threw, and failed to see open receivers all day long. Why did Elijah Holyfield only get the ball 7 times? He was unstoppable. Most of the game, he wouldn't even be on the field to draw off the defense and take pressure away from Fromm.

ga.prime":1j148bw4 said:
JMJ Farms":1j148bw4 said:
Fromm was having a bad day, but idiotic play calling by the coaches was the biggest problem. They kept running the same failed pass plays over and over when it was plain as the nose on your face that Jake Fromm was having an off day. He over threw, under threw, and failed to see open receivers all day long. Why did Elijah Holyfield only get the ball 7 times? He was unstoppable. Most of the game, he wouldn't even be on the field to draw off the defense and take pressure away from Fromm.

Sounds exactly like the conversation I had with my kids last night. One of them said "maybe you should be a coach". I said "I'm not coaching material but I can assure y'all of one thing. If what I'm doing ain't working then I promise I would do something else instead of doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. That's insanity."

Fromm was definitely having an off day. Which is ok. We all do. And to echo your comment about Holyfield..... this kid has unlimited potential. He runs as hard as anyone I've watched in a long time. All heart like his daddy was.

UGA looked so "off" that if I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that it was rigged. I know it wasn't but they just didn't even look like the same team.

I've probably said it here before, and it's only my opinion but I will stick to it. 'College Football is 10% talent and 90% momentum.' Lose the momentum in a big game and it's hard to regain. LSU was hungrier. UGA is more talented. Just wasn't in the stars for them yesterday.

Playing in Baton Rouge can take a lot of momentum out of a lot of teams and LSU going on 4th down 4 times (and converted each time) said "Ain't skeered!"

Non binding AP and equally irrelevant Coaches polls are out:
Here's how the entire poll looks:

1.Alabama
2.Ohio State
3.Clemson
4.Notre Dame
5.LSU
6.Michigan
7.Texas
8.Georgia
9.Oklahoma
10.UCF
11.Florida
12.Oregon
13.West Virginia
14.Kentucky
15.Washington
16.NC State
17.Texas A&M
18.Penn State
19.Iowa
20.Cincinnati
21.South Florida
22.Mississippi State
23.Wisconsin
24.Michigan State
25.Washington State

Coaches poll:
1.Alabama (61)
2.Ohio State (1)
3.Clemson (2)
4.Notre Dame
5.LSU
6.Georgia
7.Michigan
8.Texas
9.UCF
10.Oklahoma
11.Oregon
12.Florida
13.West Virginia
14.Washington
15.NC State
16.Penn State
17.Kentucky
18.Texas A&M
19.Wisconsin
20.South Florida
21.Cincinnati
22.Iowa
23.Washington State
24.Stanford
35.Colorado

I think Coaches is more representative at the top 1-10. I don't think Texas has a snowball's chance in hades of beating Georgia, and I don't think Michigan can either.
Also think Iowa is better than what either poll shows.
PAC12 probably won't make it to playoff contention, especially if ND runs the rest of the season with a 12-0 record.

Latest posts