Kelpie or Australian Shepherd or Catahoula

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
We are thinking of getting our first cow dog(s). We've got a small to med sized herd. Being in central Texas, we want something that is heat tolerant and without a big coat. We want something that will serve yard patrol when we are away, too.

We are considering Kelpie, Aussie, and Catahoula.

What are the pros and cons of each compared with the other 2?

We are also considering buying trained dogs rather than puppies. We just don't want to take the time to mess with puppies, but then again it's been a few years since a puppy has been around.

Turnthatcowloosemaw,

It's the catahoula in your dog that did that. Most catahoulas are aggressive workers. IMHO, the new Texas state dog is much better and more responsive: Blue Lacy. http://www.lacydog.com/ They're also called Lacy hog dogs. They're remarkably easy to house break and train compared to catahoulas and they're voice senestive though. I've had both breeds and would want both for various reasons. Too many folks breeding catahoulas for the pretty eye and coat colors not the working ability those days so it pays to steer clear or be aware that you should buy from strictly working parents. You could also try a blackmouth cur or a mountain cur. They both work livestock and hunt the same as the catahoula. I've only had one blackmouth cur so can't say much about them while I've had up to 5 catahoulas and they do get dog aggressive when they get older WHICH I hate when I'm hog hunting so I'm much more selective about keeping catahoulas. I'm really sold on the lacy breed easy to train and works similiar to the catahoula/blackmouth dogs but are capable of working goats while catahoulas aren't recommended for goat herding..they tend to get too rough.

The Lacy family STILL breeds and raises the breed. They were the ones who donated the pink grantite that adorns the Austin captiol.

Ted -

I've heard of the Lacy's hunting abilities, but what kind of cow dog are they? Will they go into the back pasture, full of briars and bring my cows to me?

I'm not all that interested in hunting ability. I have a Lab who is incredible and has the titles to prove it.

I would recommend that you check out the website at: http://www.lacydog.com/ and then click on the messageboard. Here's what they had to say about the lacy's cow dog working abilities:

"Hi my name is Ben Glenn and I run a ranch and use Lacys daily. All I do is cattle work with my dogs and I can assure you that Lacys will ABSOLUTELY go through any brush in order to gather cattle. Their work ethic(drive) is equal to any good Border Collie,but, without the restlessness and nervousness. They work in the brush as well as any Catahoula and/or Cur, but without all the screaming and cussing. These dogs are a head/bay dog with all the grit to go along with that group but they have the intelligent mindset of a good Border Collie or Kelpie. Also, when you gather with them you can trust them to do the work you set them to do and not leave any marks on the cattle. "

and

"ted working cattle was 1 of the things that the Lacy family originated this breed for as i'm sure you know. i know a man here in northeast texas that uses a lacy to help gather green bucking bulls. i would give this gentleman this web site and tell him to just take a look at the history of the dogs. at least that way there is proof in black and white letters plus the info put in here by those who use their dogs on cattle."

and lastly:

"Mr. Glenn I know what you mean about that screaming & cussing with Catahoulas I have a handful myself, but it sure is nice not to have to do that with my Lacys. Ted I`ve never had Lacys on cattle but I do know that Smoke & Whisper will dive off in some of the thickest brush to get to hogs so I`m sure that wouldn`t affect them one bit when working cattle. Lacys seem to be able to handle any task with ease."

That's what they had to say and feel free to check out the website. We are having what's called "Blue Dog Playday" basically it is a get together and we demostrate the Lacy's abilities to: blood scent trail work, hog and cattle work (the cattle work is a maybe right now since it takes alot of work to secure cattle that is going to be herded by dogs) and other things in April.

Ted

i own 3 dogs 1 purebred kelpie female, 1 kelpie/border dog and a blue heeler dog. kelpies are by far the best workers ive ever come across and although theyre bred for sheep, you cant go past em for an all round dog. only they have to be trained or else they get headstrong and begin to reckon they know better than you. kelpies seem intelligent and i know a few smart stud dogs, some of which have been sent over to the USA. but as a general rule they are incredibly instinctive though smart enough to learn a lesson. i have to keep my dogs tied up or else they end up tireing themselves out rounding up the chooks and geese(takes all day to tire themselves out). a good example of theyre versatility is one little 2 yr old female i have, i took her to work one day where i was drenching 800 sheep. We had to round the sheep up in a big paddock and all i had to do was stand at the gate and cast her out of sight over a slight rise, she brought the sheep back in about 15 mins and tucked them neatly into the yards and i barely had to utter a word. point being the biggest flock she had ever previously worked was maybe 30 sheep, and in yards aswell. she can also work cattle till her eyes pop out.

anyway basically if u dont have the time to train a puppy a kelpie mightn't be such a good plan, another idea is the blue heeler or australian cattle dog. i have a very disobedient/untrained blue heeler, i have seen some good examples of this breed and well bred dogs should work cattle from the moment they open theyre eyes, they should also be very friendly with horses. i dunno about other breeds but thats how i figure it.

Latest posts