Kelp meal

Help Support CattleToday:

feelnrite":1tx7jpc0 said:
Does anyone feed it and thoughts on it. If you do feed it where do you get it.

I forgot all about this til I saw your post. My husband just ran into some recently that said he was trying it for the first time and is loving it. Curious about anyone with info has to say.

Michele

I've been feeding it for a number of years. The best way to feed is free choice. They will eat it up the first week or so. Then they settle down. Try it, I think you will be happy with the results.

Hey bluestem tell me what you think the biggest benefit of it is. It is high and I would try one bag but they must have a min. order and you cant order under 100.00 or something. I was going to mix it in the mineral I feed now.

I tried free choice, but they never settled down and continued to gobble it up.

I mix it about 50/50 with Redmonds loose salt and add a little selenium.

This is the only mineral I feed my cattle.

The kelp is about $30 for a 50lb. bag. All the local feed stores have started carrying it.

I have checked around here and no one has it. The 30.00 sounds better than 80.00 of course a lot of that is shipping.

Sorry, I meant local to me.

We have lots of organic producers in my area. I know conventional cattle folks also use kelp, but I think it's an especially popular source of vitamins and minerals among organic producers.

I don't know how many head you have, but I know that some of the kelp companies like Thorvin give pretty good discounts if you order a whole pallet.

The most popular brand name of kelp meal is Tasco. They have done research at VA Tech, Miss State, Texas Tech. They claim their specific product is somewhat different than regular kelp meal and helps lower body temperature on cattle grazing endophyte fescue. It is supposed to be fed at a rate of 0.4 oz/head/day (10% inclusion in a 4 oz mineral). It will probably cost you about $1 per pound. I personally am not sure if there is enough economic benefit to warrant the cost.