Keeping records

Help Support CattleToday:

Cajun, someone mentioned on another thread that they used "Cattle Max". Others just make a spreadsheet and input information about all their cows. Some simply keep a notebook. Doesn't have to be fancy as long as it meets your needs.

i use cattlemax small herd reg edtion.an i like it very much.they also have comm herd program as well.

bigbull338":1d28ommb said:
i use cattlemax small herd reg edtion.an i like it very much.they also have comm herd program as well.

I use the same thing for both.

We use Ranch Manager. It does quite a bit and you don't need to pick a registered or commercial program. It does what you want. You can look at it and get a trial version if you want.
http://www.lionedge.com
We also keep a Ranch Animal Records book.

Caustic Burno":3sp570es said:
Well I am still using a ledger book and a no.2 pencil.

Probably as good as any other way..no crashed hard drives, no power failure, but sometimes hard to find a # 2 pencil. :lol:

TexasBred":1hjzohx7 said:
Caustic Burno":1hjzohx7 said:
Well I am still using a ledger book and a no.2 pencil.

Probably as good as any other way..no crashed hard drives, no power failure, but sometimes hard to find a # 2 pencil. :lol:

Start a new one every year, I have all the old ones stored in my safe and each one has a journal of weather, prices and other events.

This topic was brought up a few months ago. It seems everyone uses different methods to keep records. Some kept no records. It depends on your particular operation, herd size, and personality. Use what works best for you. Cattle software, excel spreadsheets, and notebooks are used most often. But this is the first thread I see where someone mentions Access. Access would be a powerful tool for recordkeeping. Good idea! :clap:

My dad always carried one of those small spiral books that he could put in the bib of his overalls. Had pages for every cow. Abbreviations, ect. that only he understood...but it was his system and apparently worked as well as anything else.

Latest posts