Keeping raccoons & possums out of flower pots on the por

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
Short of staking out the porch and eliminating the ever loving raccoons and possums, what can I do to keep them out of my flower pots? Every time I plant something, the little sh**s dig up the plants, throwing dirt all over the portch, and ultimately, killing the plants.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ga. prime, thanks. Beefy, all my dogs are currently residing in the house. Looong story. What kind of pepper - red pepper flakes?

Texgal, if you could get a Jack Russell Terrior to stay on the porch, he'd keep all manner of critters away. They're all about territory. (A superior alternative to the wire idea.) In fact, I should never have mentioned wire. You don't want wire all over the place. Good luck. 8)

Texgal, he would only need to be on the porch at night. Right? Most dogs like to stay on the porch at night. (Or very near). You can work it out. Jack Russells are fearless.

I'll have to give the pepper a try first . If I brought another critter home my husband would have a conniption fit right on the spot.:) Thanks for the advice - I greatly appreciate it.

Put a portable radio outside and turn it on. This will keep the varmits away and the plants will grow better enjoying the music. ;-)

cowboy44":svuzf9kf said:
i have tried red pepper on dogs after awhile they get where they like it. also what is a conniption fit have heard of one all my life but i am not sure i ever had one

similar to a hissy fit but more serious.

They get used to lights and radio's quickly. You will look out
some night and they will be doing the Texas two step. A rotten
little dog is the only thing that works for us.

If there aren't any other animals that can get into it (cats, dogs, etc...) put some antifreeze in a bowl for them by the flower pot....

ga. prime":1my6f8u4 said:
Texgal, if you could get a Jack Russell Terrior to stay on the porch, he'd keep all manner of critters away. They're all about territory. (A superior alternative to the wire idea.) In fact, I should never have mentioned wire. You don't want wire all over the place. Good luck. 8)

It finally hit me why we don't have any panthers, grizzly bears, timber wolves and such, Camp own's Russells about six miles through the woods. The little dogs have no fear cause's them to have a short life expectancy though.

Had me a Jack Russell once. Little S@#T wouldn't stay around. I think the hogs got em.

Texas Gal,go to the hardware store and get you a catch em alive trap,they are easy to set and bait,I just use cat food in mine,if there is a coon or possum around you will catch him once give em lead poisioning cuz if you let him loose,you aint gonna have much luck trappin him again ..............good luck

Latest posts