Keeping my first bull

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
So i have some black baldy cows with good confirmation lovely temprament about to calve to a great moderate char bull. I was thinking about keeping a calf as a bull to mop up after ai for a bit of something to do.

OzssieDave19":3tm0jehp said:
So i have some black baldy cows with good confirmation lovely temprament about to calve to a great moderate char bull. I was thinking about keeping a calf as a bull to mop up after ai for a bit of something to do.
Bred like he is,, I'd hope all the AI's stick

OzssieDave19":21fkmjri said:
I have some black baldy cows with good confirmation lovely temperament about to calve to a great moderate char bull.
I was thinking about keeping a calf as a bull to mop up after ai for a bit of something to do.
A lot of smaller guys do. His calves will have ai herd mates so you'll be able to compare and see how he did.
If it doesn't work out, you can call it a learning experience. :)

Son of Butch":3gvtk448 said:
OzssieDave19":3gvtk448 said:
I have some black baldy cows with good confirmation lovely temperament about to calve to a great moderate char bull.
I was thinking about keeping a calf as a bull to mop up after ai for a bit of something to do.
A lot of smaller guys do. His calves will have ai herd mates so you'll be able to compare and see how he did.
If it doesn't work out, you can call it a learning experience. :)
SOB I agree with you. I see more and more doing it. Many times it works in a clean up situation.

In a cleanup situation use a super virile bull.

Our commercial cattle (about 650) have a 1/2 Longhorn 1/2 black simmental bull left with them for 60 days after main bulls are pulled from field. (We have 10% less drys now than before)

Calves sell with the rest their weight here.

mpassmore85":3lp28pwo said:

Our commercial cattle (about 650) have a 1/2 Longhorn 1/2 black simmental bull left with them for 60 days after main bulls are pulled from field. (We have 10% less drys now than before)

Not sure I understand.. Why not just leave the main bulls in for that extra 60 days.. Do you mean open cows with "drys"

Yes. And longhorn blood helped a ton. Aunt and uncle had a cow that was a "pet" wasn't bred for 6 years. My longhornish bull did in 2 cyckes

Just me, but if my main bulls weren't getting done what a longhorn cross was doing, I'd be getting new main bulls.

I'm not opposed to keeping a bull, especially for a cleanup or limited use. Used a Beefmaster X Angus this year with 6 head. For me it's hard to justify paying 3000-5000 for a bull just for a few head, and if it is a home raised bull he can be sold at about any point and not have to loose money on him. I do prefer to use purebred bulls, but this year one of the prospects didn't pass a BSE and we had the crossbred bull around still so he was turned out.

Hey everyone thanks for the tips and opinions. Anyone got any pictures of said crossbred bulls? Hell you only live once i am going to give it a go.

We breed our own herd bulls. Gives us the ability to see what maternal and paternal brothers sisters have done as well as knowing every detail on the bull that could impact our herd. I'm sure if you posted a picture of him people on here could tell you all the good and things that should be watched on the one you choose.

mpassmore85":6vjvsffw said:

Do you happen to have a picture of that Longhorn X Simmental bull? If not, what's he look like? Is he all black? What frame size?

M.Magis":113rht16 said:
Just me, but if my main bulls weren't getting done what a longhorn cross was doing, I'd be getting new main bulls.

Texas Longhorns are very fertile. They get the job done.

Bullitt":12b0t509 said:
M.Magis":12b0t509 said:

Texas Longhorns are very fertile. They get the job done.

If one can, they all can.

If you stop making excuses for sub fertile bulls (and / or cows) your checkbook will thank you.

I have to agree with Walnut Crest, on the bull issue. If the main bull(s) aren't getting the job done, on time, then I sure wouldn't be keeping them, or replacement heifers out of them. Sure, there are exceptions like an injury, but our bulls had better be getting 90% plus, bred in the 60-90 day time frame they are with the cows. We shoot for 60 days but some places we can't get the cattle up easily to get the bulls out so they stay in longer. If there are very many cows that come up preg to a shorter time than they should, say 10 out of 30 that are only 2 months when everyone else is 4-5 months; then we look at weather conditions that may have hit and take a LONG look at the bull too.
We don't have a "cleanup" bull to take up the slack. If the bull doesn't get it done, he gets a BSE and if all is well we look at the cows for reasons.
The only "cleanup" the bulls are doing is for the ones I breed AI. I will know in a couple of weeks as we get these last few groups in to preg check. I bred 10 AI and then put them out after 30 days just in case. It has been a hard fall to get some things caught up and we are running behind. But we have had very good preg checks on the ones we have done so far.
Cull cow prices are giveaway right now, so don't know what we are going to do if there are very many open cows. I'm not expecting many/any to come up open except maybe a couple of old cows.

If the bull doesn't do the job, he is gone. My AI was running 60-70% first services a couple of years ago, and I don't breed alot AI like I used to, so I was pretty satisfied with that. This year only had 2 repeat out of the 10, and after the 2nd service they went with the bull. Let's face it, he is way better equipped to get the job done.

farmerjan":6yndqeyc said:
Cull cow prices are giveaway right now, so don't know what we are going to do if there are very many open cows. I'm not expecting many/any to come up open except maybe a couple of old cows.

If you do have any open cows, can you allow them to stay in with the bull for another month or so and see if they get pregnant? Or do you not waste the time on those open cows?