Keeping bull in

Help Support CattleToday:

tyler123

Reaction score
I have a young Angus Bull, with 15 cows on him. This spring was his first calves born. He seems to be a great breeding bull.
My problem is keeping him in my pasture, I have good fences but he is large enough he goes right thru them, any idea what I might try to keep him in? :cry2:

I had a bull like that once. He would just walk thru any fence that you put in front of him. Didn't matter if it was regular field fence or barbed wire.

Then, he got introduced to hot wire. End of problem.

Now, I've got a long-legged heifer that can outjump a deer. She's getting a set of wheels put under her this weekend.

One of my neighbors has had some angus bulls and we have all put up with them. Hot wire did not help. The neighbor behind me finally cured the problem with a rifle. He had way more than enough of it. No SSS on his part either so I did not get blamed.

The last two bulls would jump the front road fence, go east down the road 1/2 mile, then circle through two pastures to get into mine.

We've had the sheriff out. None of us want our stock bred to angus.

He just bought another angus bull. The sheriff has had enough and told me to put a bullet in this one if it gets in any of may hay fields or pastures. The owner has been warned. I don't care much about the hay. Mostly I don't want the bull covering any of my cows.

Hot wire at the mid fence and above the fence stopped the bull from coming in the west end of the pastures holding my cows. But it did not solve the problem. The bull will jump 52 inch cattle panels and it will jump cattle guards. We have it on video.

backhoeboogie":1qvqoggm said:
The sheriff has had enough and told me to put a bullet in this one if it gets in any of may hay fields or pastures. The owner has been warned.

Now that's a good sheriff. We have one like that in our county too. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just turn a Holstein bull or two loose in the neighbors pasture one night. Thats a way to get even. :cowboy:

Well - I for one hate building fence or adding to an existing one. SO - my next suggestion would be to load him up. Somebody on this board said it best - There's too many good ones to keep a bad one around. That includes loading up the neighbor's and taking him for a one way ride to meet an auctioneer!

"Well - I for one hate building fence or adding to an existing one. SO - my next suggestion would be to load him up. Somebody on this board said it best - There's too many good ones to keep a bad one around. That includes loading up the neighbor's and taking him for a one way ride to meet an auctioneer!

:clap: :clap: :clap: I for one am sick & tired of fixing our fence to stop my cousin's bull from getting in I have told him to keep the darn thing out otherwise I'm going to get him in the yard & put a band on him than I will never have to worry about that bull getting my heifers in calf than I thought to myself no that would be too obvious (don't get mad ... get even) so I asked my cousin did he want to borrow my new set of Castrators that can be used on mature bulls with no problems :cowboy: ;-) - that bull has now been shifted back to his house.

If the bull were mine, he just earned a one way ticket to town. I will not abide a fence crawler of any kind. I do realize that bulls are like 16 year old boys - when they see the girls, they think they have to go over to them. But unless my bull is in another pasture because he and another bull fought down a fence, then he's gone. IF the fence is fought down again, he's gone. I have one full time job already and do not have the time or the inclination to fix fence and chase some bull around the county, not to mention liability issues depending on your state.

Look in your state's statutes online, in Wyoming you can hold the animal until damages are paid. Damages can range from fences, to an animal being bred to a certain breed, or out of season. A regular old cow can become a prize winning dam (that was ruined by the neighbors bull) real quick when you are trying to come up with damages.

grannysoo":17d04cao said:
Now, I've got a long-legged heifer that can outjump a deer. She's getting a set of wheels put under her this weekend.

Dont know if its worth your trouble but thats not to hard to fix. Find a tree branch in the shape of a Y with a think base at the bottom. Put that around the cows neck for a week, just tie it at the top (we use wire and a piece of old hose so it didnt hurt). They wont be able to lift up their head high enough to jump but can still get around and graze. Easy problem and you can keep the cow for the calves and usually break them from jumpin fence.

I built a small pen out of electric wire and kept my bull in it for about 4 days. When he came out he never got close to the fence again. He sured whined a lot, but never got close to it.

tyler123":3bbjm0ft said:
I have a young Angus Bull, with 15 cows on him. This spring was his first calves born. He seems to be a great breeding bull.
My problem is keeping him in my pasture, I have good fences but he is large enough he goes right thru them, any idea what I might try to keep him in? :cry2:

Tyler

It is your bull and I am glad you are seeking advice - if you are my neighbour I will work with you to a point.

If he continued to show up at my place I load him in the dark and take him a long ways away and let him go - with open pasture and some large areas in the mountains we have no problem getting rid of trouble.

So throw some hot wire out there real soon or someone might take it into their own hands. Or better - sell that loser asap. Burger is better than losing him.

Last time that happened to me was a lot of years ago - neighbour showed up asking for the bull one too many times - more than one dozen escapes in that year - I ended up with a lot of calves I did not want - so I solved the problem by telling him - "I haven't seen him."

That bull travelled one hundred miles - give or take - that night and was never seen again.

Bez+

Bez+":3rhspfrm said:
Last time that happened to me was a lot of years ago - neighbour showed up asking for the bull one too many times - more than one dozen escapes in that year - I ended up with a lot of calves I did not want - so I solved the problem by telling him - "I haven't seen him."

That bull travelled one hundred miles - give or take - that night and was never seen again.

Bez+

If you were one of my neighbors, a lot of my misery would be cut in half. If you hauled that bull 100 miles away, I'd buy the fuel!

"Bez+ wrote:Last time that happened to me was a lot of years ago - neighbour showed up asking for the bull one too many times - more than one dozen escapes in that year - I ended up with a lot of calves I did not want - so I solved the problem by telling him - "I haven't seen him."

Bez+
"If you were one of my neighbors, a lot of my misery would be cut in half. If you hauled that bull 100 miles away, I'd buy the fuel!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Same here

Loch Valley Fold":1lfwtvsa said:
"Bez+ wrote:Last time that happened to me was a lot of years ago - neighbour showed up asking for the bull one too many times - more than one dozen escapes in that year - I ended up with a lot of calves I did not want - so I solved the problem by telling him - "I haven't seen him."

Bez+
"If you were one of my neighbors, a lot of my misery would be cut in half. If you hauled that bull 100 miles away, I'd buy the fuel!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Same here
We had an Angus that loved to scratch his back on the electric fence. All others he would just walk through. He was replaced with a Brangus bull. He would jump over electric or barbed wire. The neighbor took him to the sale barn for us. He said we could pic him up and take him home. But he would be buzzard bait if he came back to his place. We just went to the sale barn and picked up the check. I don't blame the guy at all.
" Good fences make good neighbors " Robert Frost

You should read Zingaah's story on another page titled "Fencing for Bulls". I'll bet no bull would cope with a magneto but it is sure to be illegal.

Latest posts