Keeping Beef fresh in the Freezer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Howdy all, when you butcher a steer. how do you keep the beef fresh and not taste old?

we wrap our cuts with plastic wrap and then put them in zip lock bags but after a few months the beef taste old.

there is only two of us so i am thinking that butchering our own steer isn't worth it.

Alex Fullingim Circle A Ranch Red Bluff, CA

Ideally beef should be consumed within 6 months. However, I have had beef in the freezer for over a year with no off tastes.

If using ziplock bags, they need to be freezer bags, thicker and less likely to absorb freezer taste.

Baking soda can be used in a freezer if you have taste problems as well.

Brown paper designed for wraping beef is available and protects it well, using enough paper is the key.

If you still find you keep frozen beef too long, find a friend to 'share' the beef(at a cost of course), or look into making sausage from some of it.

Of course, if you eat beef 6 days a week it disappears faster. :)

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Our butcher uses vacuum sealing. We love it! Not only can you see what you're getting but it definitely stays good past a year. We're still eating the hamburger(6-01) and our friends still comment how much they enjoy real beef.

[email protected]

Premium quality freezer wrap is the secret, unfortunetly it's hard to find. We use plastic wrap and good quality freezer wrap, we do the same thing with venison and it's as sweet in a year as when we put it in the freezer.

dunmovin farms

> Howdy all, when you butcher a
> steer. how do you keep the beef
> fresh and not taste old?

> we wrap our cuts with plastic wrap
> and then put them in zip lock bags
> but after a few months the beef
> taste old.

> there is only two of us so i am
> thinking that butchering our own
> steer isn't worth it.

> Alex Fullingim Circle A Ranch Red
> Bluff, CA

What kind of freezer you use may have some bearing on the ultimate quality of meat as well. Self-defrosting freezers do have a heat cycle that is not supposed to affect the quality of the food, but I think it does eventually do just that. If your meat is in a freezer with other strong tasting foods (frozen broccoli, for example) it can pick up "off" flavors, not matter how good the wrap.

> Howdy all, when you butcher a
> steer. how do you keep the beef
> fresh and not taste old?

> we wrap our cuts with plastic wrap
> and then put them in zip lock bags
> but after a few months the beef
> taste old.

> there is only two of us so i am
> thinking that butchering our own
> steer isn't worth it.

> Alex Fullingim Circle A Ranch Red
> Bluff, CA

> Of course, if you eat beef 6 days
> a week it disappears faster. :)

Jason

I wouldn't know what to serve on the seventh day!!

We have found that the key is wrapping it tight with no air. We use a heavy layer of plastic wrap and get all the air out. Then we wrap again in freezer paper. The heavy kind with plastic on one side. All the folds are taped with freezer tape, so there is no air getting to the meat. We also eat beef that is almost two years old, and as good as the first week.

[email protected]