Keeping Algea out of Watering tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

When I was a young bull, 35 years ago, I worked as the second hand on a Dairy Farm. I remember a catfish always appeared in the tank in the spring. It left in the fall much bigger. I don't ever recall of scrubbing the water tanks. I am sure this would of been my job, since I got all of the dirtier jobs.

Was the catfish keeping the algea out of the tank? Has anyone heard of this? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Where I live in Texas part of the county has a problem with algae in water troughs the other does not. Reason: Where the problem occurs the water has very little or no copper. Products are available that are safe to use in these situations. These products contain copper or copper sulfate ingredients.>

When I was a young bull, 35 years
> ago, I worked as the second hand
> on a Dairy Farm. I remember a
> catfish always appeared in the
> tank in the spring. It left in the
> fall much bigger. I don't ever
> recall of scrubbing the water
> tanks. I am sure this would of
> been my job, since I got all of
> the dirtier jobs.

> Was the catfish keeping the algea
> out of the tank? Has anyone heard
> of this? Any other suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Where I live in Texas part of the
> county has a problem with algae in
> water troughs the other does not.
> Reason: Where the problem occurs
> the water has very little or no
> copper. Products are available
> that are safe to use in these
> situations. These products contain
> copper or copper sulfate
> ingredients.> When I was a
> young bull, 35 years

Thanks Mike. I will investigate the copper idea. I was cleaning the tank last night and the memory of the fish in the tank came to mind.

The farmer I worked for was ancient at the time. I find the old timers usually know something that we don't know with all our modern technology. Thought I would post the the question. Don't know if the fish kept the Algea down or he and his wife just loved a fish fry.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

You can put a piece of copper pipe or scrap copper in your tank and it will cut alot of the algea out. I also add about a quart of clorox bleach per weak to my tanks and it will keep them almost spotless.this is in a 150 gal. tank and up to 300 gal. on my farm.

When I was a young bull, 35 years
> ago, I worked as the second hand
> on a Dairy Farm. I remember a
> catfish always appeared in the
> tank in the spring. It left in the
> fall much bigger. I don't ever
> recall of scrubbing the water
> tanks. I am sure this would of
> been my job, since I got all of
> the dirtier jobs.

> Was the catfish keeping the algea
> out of the tank? Has anyone heard
> of this? Any other suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> You can put a piece of copper pipe
> or scrap copper in your tank and
> it will cut alot of the algea out.
> I also add about a quart of clorox
> bleach per weak to my tanks and it
> will keep them almost
> spotless.this is in a 150 gal.
> tank and up to 300 gal. on my
> farm.

That's a lot of bleach for such small water tanks. I don't know how long it takes for that much bleach to evaporate. I put one cap of bleach in the bilge of a 16" skiff, and it will kill all the green alga in a couple hours. I worry you could be destroying a harmful amount of Microorganisms in the Rumen. You might want to get some expert advice on that one.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

i have a 350 gallon tank that we have 4 gold fish in ..........as i was young i recall fish in these tanks so i put some in.....they seem to be happy & doing well..........no problems with any thing.......they are to fast for the cows to catch....lol.....stroke on



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> i have a 350 gallon tank that we
> have 4 gold fish in ..........as i
> was young i recall fish in these
> tanks so i put some in.....they
> seem to be happy & doing
> well..........no problems with any
> thing.......they are to fast for
> the cows to
> catch....lol.....stroke on

Glad to here that someone else has heard of this. At the time, I never thought I would be raising livestock. Worked on the farm for the little money I was paid and wasn't impressed with all the work. Wasn't interested enough to ask the oldtimer about the fish. Low and behold, 35 years later I am raising cattle.

Think I will grab the pole and hike down to the creek and give the fish idea a try. Won't cost me anything and I may be able to catch dinner (LOL).



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Glad to here that someone else has
> heard of this. At the time, I
> never thought I would be raising
> livestock. Worked on the farm for
> the little money I was paid and
> wasn't impressed with all the
> work. Wasn't interested enough to
> ask the oldtimer about the fish.
> Low and behold, 35 years later I
> am raising cattle.

> Think I will grab the pole and
> hike down to the creek and give
> the fish idea a try. Won't cost me
> anything and I may be able to
> catch dinner (LOL).

I like the going fishing idea. A couple fish in the tank would probably clean up on the mosquito larva also! Yep, I think gitting a couple fish for the tank is a job the boss shouldn't neglect! >There's a lot to be learned from those old timers.

>Rod
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Back when we used to flood irrigate we would always get dozens of crawdads depositted across the fields. We ould gather them up, had a cow that would point them for us, and throw the in the various water tanks. Didn't keep the algae down but every month or so we would have a pretty darn good meal.

dun

> I like the going fishing idea. A
> couple fish in the tank would
> probably clean up on the mosquito
> larva also! Yep, I think gitting a
> couple fish for the tank is a job
> the boss shouldn't neglect!
> >There's a lot to be learned
> from those old timers.
 
Top