Keeper?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":hke66xre said:
SCfarms":hke66xre said:
Beefy not to put you down are anything but I really dont like your cattle a whole lot really framey and fine bone and dont have the depth and thickness to back up the frame. There was a few that I liked but not many. I am sure some people will not like this comment but that is my opionion. ;-)

that really doesnt surprise me stephen. no offense taken since i think show cattle are worthless, lol.
which ones did you like?
by the way, the biggest cow ive ever sold was 1350, i seriously doubt any of the cows i have now are over 1150. most closer to 1000

I am so sorry you feel that way but on avg. I sell heifers for about $2,500 a calf and my uncle sell most of his bulls for about 2 or 3 a bull as yearlings and about 4 or 5 bulls out the flush he gets around $4000 to $6500 he sold the 2nd bull calf in the first flush as a 18 month old bull for $8000 to a guy in north Louisiana that was the highest selling we had. Me the most I ever got for a bull was $1800 but we are on the same farm. I got about 8 reg. cow and every year I sell there calves for about $2500 a year and my dad pay's the feed so I make lots of money but still the feed cost about $550 per calf and we got 4 so do the math if I sell to $2500 heifers a year thats feed money. Then the rest we show, breed ect. so lets see you got probly 30 cows and I got a small herd of 10 cow and 3 heifer we probly make the same amount of money. I will add up how much i sold for and get back with you. ;-)

SCfarms":ssghaxzt said:
Beefy":ssghaxzt said:
SCfarms":ssghaxzt said:
Beefy not to put you down are anything but I really dont like your cattle a whole lot really framey and fine bone and dont have the depth and thickness to back up the frame. There was a few that I liked but not many. I am sure some people will not like this comment but that is my opionion. ;-)

that really doesnt surprise me stephen. no offense taken since i think show cattle are worthless, lol.
which ones did you like?
by the way, the biggest cow ive ever sold was 1350, i seriously doubt any of the cows i have now are over 1150. most closer to 1000

I am so sorry you feel that way but on avg. I sell heifers for about $2,500 a calf and my uncle sell most of his bulls for about 2 or 3 a bull as yearlings and about 4 or 5 bulls out the flush he gets around $4000 to $6500 he sold the 2nd bull calf in the first flush as a 18 month old bull for $8000 to a guy in north Louisiana that was the highest selling we had. Me the most I ever got for a bull was $1800 but we are on the same farm. I got about 8 reg. cow and every year I sell there calves for about $2500 a year and my dad pay's the feed so I make lots of money but still the feed cost about $550 per calf and we got 4 so do the math if I sell to $2500 heifers a year thats feed money. Then the rest we show, breed ect. so lets see you got probly 30 cows and I got a small herd of 10 cow and 3 heifer we probly make the same amount of money. I will add up how much i sold for and get back with you. ;-)

Thanks so much for throwing out all those figures for me. let me stop you now before you use up all your calculator batteries. here are some of the thoughts i had while reading through your response:

whoopty freakin doo.
A) no one cares how much money you "make"
B) bragging about it doesnt win you any fans
C) wait til you hit the real world and have truck payments, house payments, utility bills, heaven forbid kids, etc.

my cows eat grass (some hay in winter) and are expected to perform on grass, in a pasture, in the real world. they only get feed if something is wrong with them. and if i spent $550 on feed for each one they better lay some golden eggs when they get through.

I'm not going to get into a peeing match with you.it doesnt and shouldnt matter how many head of cattle anyone has on here. if you really want to know you can find out though,not that its any of your business. just ask around or better yet ask me privately.

Just like you have a right to have your opinion i have mine.

Take some advice from another "young'n" though,and simmer down. theres a lot to learn here and you cant if you know it all.

not trying to start a fan club here just stating how much more reg. stock or worth more than comm. stock. Plus reg stock is more fun.

hey again little buddy.
yeah they are worth more. but they also cost more. and take a lot more time. commercial cattle are less risky. registered are easier to lose your butt on. the part about it being more fun is debatable.

Beefy":222n71ce said:
SCfarms":222n71ce said:
Beefy":222n71ce said:
SCfarms":222n71ce said:

which ones did you like?

Thanks so much for throwing out all those figures for me. let me stop you now before you use up all your calculator batteries. here are some of the thoughts i had while reading through your response:

whoopty freakin doo.
A) no one cares how much money you "make"
B) bragging about it doesnt win you any fans
C) wait til you hit the real world and have truck payments, house payments, utility bills, heaven forbid kids, etc.

my cows eat grass (some hay in winter) and are expected to perform on grass, in a pasture, in the real world. they only get feed if something is wrong with them. and if i spent $550 on feed for each one they better lay some golden eggs when they get through.

I'm not going to get into a peeing match with you.it doesnt and shouldnt matter how many head of cattle anyone has on here. if you really want to know you can find out though,not that its any of your business. just ask around or better yet ask me privately.

Just like you have a right to have your opinion i have mine.

Take some advice from another "young'n" though,and simmer down. theres a lot to learn here and you cant if you know it all.

LOL!

Ya' know beefy, I got more than a few commercial cows - and I sure wish they would lay golden eggs! When you get that genetic line set up I really wish you would give me a call. I will be your biggest client.

You may have cattle that some do not like, but they seem to work for you - so I say put 'em on grass and let them go on about their daily chores - the ones you do not have to do anything to - other than vaccinate - they are the winners.

Oh, and when your youthful detractors get to the stage that they are SELF SUPPORTING - well, I would suspect they will sing a slightly different tune.

I wonder if anyone out there wants to buy my feed, make my payments and let me keep all the profit from the animals on this place - it would be nice to always have some coin jingling in my pocket.

Regards,

Bez

Hey Beefy, I have some real ugly cows. I may have a couple that you and I could run an ugly contest with. Some stay boney most of the year and recover just before calving. They produce a nice calf for me each year though and I only touch them twice a year. In my book there's pretty and then there are producers.

Maybe we should have an ugly cow contest. :lol:

SCfarms wrote:
Beefy wrote:
SCfarms wrote:
Beefy not to put you down are anything but I really dont like your cattle a whole lot really framey and fine bone and dont have the depth and thickness to back up the frame. There was a few that I liked but not many. I am sure some people will not like this comment but that is my opionion.

which ones did you like?

I am so sorry you feel that way but on avg. I sell heifers for about $2,500 a calf and my uncle sell most of his bulls for about 2 or 3 a bull as yearlings and about 4 or 5 bulls out the flush he gets around $4000 to $6500 he sold the 2nd bull calf in the first flush as a 18 month old bull for $8000 to a guy in north Louisiana that was the highest selling we had. Me the most I ever got for a bull was $1800 but we are on the same farm. I got about 8 reg. cow and every year I sell there calves for about $2500 a year and my dad pay's the feed so I make lots of money but still the feed cost about $550 per calf and we got 4 so do the math if I sell to $2500 heifers a year thats feed money. Then the rest we show, breed ect. so lets see you got probly 30 cows and I got a small herd of 10 cow and 3 heifer we probly make the same amount of money. I will add up how much i sold for and get back with you.

ahh a southern boy with a yankee attitude.your cattle would probably melt like a snowball out from your program 8)

ok i will you take your cattle out of a envionment and put them in a real working commercial operation they will probably look no different than beefys or any other operation. in fact most likley a little worse until they adjust to having to work for a living. some of your better operations understand this that is why they do not pamper there cattle so they will be able to perform in harsh conditions

Beefy,
Here's my two cents and it's nothing that's going to be profound but those two black cows in that picture don't look the greatest but I'll bet that if you take some better poses of them they would look better. They're entirely two different types of cattle but they're probably two pretty good producers. If you get a chance try to take a couple more pictures of them-I would like to see other angles of them.

I don't particularly raise show cattle although most of my stock is registered-some even wind up being shown but some of my homliest cows raise the best calves every year. Guess I'm trying to say they don't look that bad-I think it's the picture. Pictures can either make something look better than it is or worse depending on the pose. :)

hey guys. the pic isnt that great i'll admit. and i dont like the heifer on the right that much either anyway. too leggy and too much limi for my taste. plus her legginess is accentuated by her standing on the top of the road and the other one in the ditch. if you look at their feet you can see what i'm talking about. the road slopes down on each side. to clarify, all of the animals in this post are what i consider 7s, except for the old angus cow (shes an8) and the black heifer on the left is a 9. scale 1-10. i took for granted what i know of her family history and that doesnt come out in photos.

Latest posts