keep? sell?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well that would be easy! Our stockyard is scrunched between the railroad tracks and main road into town. Not much room for pens or anything, let alone space to drive through. Every available spot is taken up by pens, and they go as close to the road as they are legally allowed.

Tuesdays you can drive past and there's trailers parked the edge of the road on both sides, packed in the parking lots at the auction, vet clinic next door, AND in the parking lots across and down the road.

When my boss takes a load of cull cows to the auction he tries to get down there early. Says if you don't, you can spend a half-hour or more waiting in line to unload.

milkmaid":3bnvbagj said:
I can back a trailer, but I don't do it under pressure or when I have a lot of folks standing around watching. LOL. That's when I let someone else drive. ;-)

I have problems backing trailers sometimes too, and I've been doing it a lot longer then since this summer. Seems that some days they almost do it themsleves and other times it's done in fits and starts. Give it your best shot and you'll do fine.

dun

dun":1d2jybui said:
milkmaid":1d2jybui said:
I can back a trailer, but I don't do it under pressure or when I have a lot of folks standing around watching. LOL. That's when I let someone else drive. ;-)

I have problems backing trailers sometimes too, and I've been doing it a lot longer then since this summer. Seems that some days they almost do it themsleves and other times it's done in fits and starts. Give it your best shot and you'll do fine.

dun

I agree with Dun. I remember my Dad bragging on me one time "that boy can back a trailer into culvert and never touch the sides". Took me four tries to get it in the right place that time. :lol:

What I have learned is take your time. If you hurry it will only turn out wrong. Less time to make corrections.

MM - I'm ALWAYS anxious when I sell cattle thru any kind of auction (local or purebred sale). You are at the mercy of the bidders, you have no control, so it leaves you feeling helpless.
I also CAN back up a trailer (when noone is around) but always get someone else to do it if there is an audience :D :D Lots easier backing up things hooked to a tractor! Ever drive your truck & try to hit the right brake to turn sharper?? :shock: :D I HAVE!!! :D

Very busy day and it's only 11am right now. First I took 311 back to the dairy this morning at 6am. She's bawling for her calves. Now that's funny - given her attitude toward calves when I first brought her home months ago. LOL.

Next took the four calves to the auction. I'm pleased to report that I did back the trailer and I did not make a total spectacle of myself. :lol: When it was my turn to unload, the two fellows standing there were giving me the look like "back it up, unload, let's keep moving" and like I would be perfectly capable of doing it myself. So I did. Took two tries because I wasn't lined up right the first time, but second time was perfect.

I know it probably sounds silly to you all - but I didn't grow up like most farm kids, who've been driving trucks and tractors since they were big enough to reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel. So to me being able to drive the truck and put that trailer where I want it is a big accomplishment. :p :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, folks. =)

Then I picked up 162 and the twins from the vet clinic. She was AI'd Saturday but I figured I might as well run all my errands with the trailer at once, so I just waited 'til today to get her.

Afterwards, my boss and I rounded up that other heifer that he'd offered to me and ran her down the road with four-wheelers to my place. She's now penned with my two other heifers.

What I found really intriguing was the size comparision between this new holstein heifer and my other holstein heifer. The new one is ~650lbs and somewhere around 15 months of age. My other heifer is 9 months of age...and the same size, if not bigger. Shows you the difference between a calf raised on a cow & grained at 2% of her body weight all her life -- and a bottle calf that's been on pasture all summer with no grain.

I'll get a pic of the new one in another day or so - there is a story behind her. Boss doesn't sell perfect cows, and this one certainly isn't perfect....

And- I'll post what those calves weighed and sold for when I get the info in Thursday's mail. You all are probably curious by now. ;-)

You never cease to amaze us!! :D Good job backing the trailer with "the good ole boys" watching!! I know I'M PROUD of you.
It always amazes me how dairy farms care for the REPLACEMENT heifers. This is their next livelyhood and they don't FEED them!! Amazing!! :shock:
Well, I guess I should backtrack. Some of the more modern farms now realize they need to be calving them out at 24 months old and are doing a better job of raising them.
Dairymen will talk about "heifer hay" (being their WORSE hay) and I talk about "heifer hay" (being the BEST hay).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2p2yj078 said:
You never cease to amaze us!! :D Good job backing the trailer with "the good ole boys" watching!! I know I'M PROUD of you.

Makes my day. :) :D

MM - I know exactly what your talking about. We have a big auction barn, they have 2 drive through lanes and usually there is still a long waiting line. If you had to back in you would be there all day waiting to unload. BUT - at the vet you have to back up to their gates and it never fails there are 2 or 3 cute guys standing around and I can't back that trailer to save my life. If I'm by myself I could back a trailer perfectly. So don't feel bad - it doesn't get any easier if there are people watching you ;-)

Personally I love pulling into anywhere with my 1 ton and 24' gooseneck, parking and hopping out to the amazement of most of the old farts standing around, even some of the young ones! Our yards has a pull through too and it works SO much better than the regular chutes. We have to back up everywhere on our place and each time we park at the house so I get a lot of practice. Great job - practice makes perfect!

Let us know how the calves did!

Latest posts