Help Support CattleToday:

What would you do?

• Keep her?

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Sell her?

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
Correct. Its a terrible pen!
Damndest thing. She had like 8 linked panels lifted off the ground to get out.
Had I a real pen, this wouldn't have been an issue. Lol
Oh ya. I use portable panels too.

A while back I needed to grab some bulls off a place before I rotated to another pasture and they happened to be up near the pens. I called them in with a couple cows using cubes. I cut the cows out and got all the cows to follow me away to the next pasture. I knew I was chancing fate.😁

After moving cows when I got back up to the pens they had shifted them about 10 or 15' in the direction I took the cows. 😂 I consider them gentle since they were still in there.

I learned alot from this discussion... dont buy bulls with an epd that says they are docile.
That comment was my fault but I stand behind it. I don't put a lot of confidence in a lot of EPD's but my take on it is if one that ranked so high could have calves like that, I dang sure don't want any from the below average bunch.

That comment was my fault but I stand behind it. I don't put a lot of confidence in a lot of EPD's but my take on it is if one that ranked so high could have calves like that, I dang sure don't want any from the below average bunch.
There are alot of factors that effect temperament. Try to make an epd is pretty sketchy.

Ok. She had 2 good calves. What do you replace her with? Unknown pregnant cow? Save and raise one of this years newborn = 3yrs before a calf. I am very limited on field space, but shoot, $350? For winter hay, I say bred her back and move on. Next year you have a known good momma with a new calf. Am I missing something?
I agree with this
If it was an accident that she lost her calf and she raised a good what do you replace her with?
I would breed her back Without a calf on her she should breed back fast

All done...
All thru...
Here we go...
Sold!!!

Weighed 1070
Brought $674.10
They called her 5 years and open

Good riddance
I can't say that I am 'eating crow', but following this thread and seeing that you 'sold after all'. PERHAPS
others were correct. @Dave @Stocker Steve @Lee VanRoss @jerry27150
and several others. That said, I have no room to wait a year. I would get rid of her and replace with 3-5 yr. 5 mo.. At least i have not lost a year.

I can't say that I am 'eating crow', but following this thread and seeing that you 'sold after all'. PERHAPS
others were correct. @Dave @Stocker Steve @Lee VanRoss @jerry27150
and several others. That said, I have no room to wait a year. I would get rid of her and replace with 3-5 yr. 5 mo.. At least i have not lost a year.
I bought 2 pair today to replace the 2 open cows I sold.
For not much more than I sold the open cows for.
They are yearlings that are raising good lil babies.
I'll post pics later.

Latest posts