keep open cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus":35k4tey8 said:
kansasbeef":35k4tey8 said:
I need to keep this profitable for my Dad.
Keep this profitable for your dad or less work for you?

What possibly could have given you the idea that you could comment on someone's work ethic? F.Y.I. I don't pocket a dime off our operation, I do it because I want to be the one doing it on our farm, not watching someone else do it from my back window. Try pulling your 4 letter word out of your 3 letter word because you sound like someone who is constantly being told where they can go.

To the 38 other posts currently, Thank You for all the comments, I appreciate every viewpoint. I believe I will go for the middleroad and pregcheck these 3 again either in spring or summer. After thinking about it, we have enough hay and it is old enough I don't think we will use it next winter anyway, so yes, thank you for making think about my feed situation. When I am able to pull the bull into another pasture when calving starts in late Feb., I plan to throw those 3 cows in there with him in case they might benefit from his more focused attention. All it will do is increase my odds of selling a pregnant cow or cow calf pair next fall. We are also discussing buying the bred replacements right now, since I want to make the decision on selling the open cows(or be it may) fall calving cows at this point in time....I don't want calves dropping all year long, I'm way toooo lazy I guess. Seems I'm way to lazy to even pickup the phone and hire a contractor to do anything on the farm or the house, easier to do it myself than look up someone's phone number and pay them. Thanks for all the help everyone.

a slow breeder is a slow breeder, unless it is nutritional, that is my fault. i shipped my granny cow last year and it was hard. the vet said she was open, i sucked it up and shipped her. i read an article about a place that didn't keep anything that took more than one service to settle. keep'em pretty close to 365 day calving intervals, you have got to set a standard and stick to it. like weaning weight, birth weight. there are to many good cows to have non-productive employees

kansasbeef":13pcy6z6 said:
I need to keep this profitable for my Dad.
Keep this profitable for your dad or less work for you?[/quote]

kansasbeef":13pcy6z6 said:
What possibly could have given you the idea that you could comment on someone's work ethic?
Just a question to find out where your interests lay. You are the one making the comments.

I don't like gambling, Keeping an open cow is just that. If she takes next year yea you can come out ahead. If she don't your just deeper in the hole. Not counting what could have been made on a replacement. I like to deal with a better set of odds. To many of them dadburn "ifs" for me. Therefore I cull hard.

hillbilly":35uabh9u said:
kansasbeef":35uabh9u said:
Vet pregchecked our 21 angus
3 were open
we sell all calves each year
Dad wants to keep these 3 open cows in case they are late or may get pregnant next year. We didn't pull the bull this fall from the herd (didnt have a field for him). I think keeping them is a mistake for $ reasons and I don't want fall calves. Any opinions on this as I need to talk him into selling them and replacing them with pregnant cows. Would be buying from the same guy we got our herd from. I'm new at this, but I don't see how they can make any $, and may make problems and extra work for me. I need to keep this profitable for my Dad.

Thank you!

Your post says that you don't want fall calves.

Your post says you did not pull the bull.

Your post says 3 open cows....

Sell them.
They should be bred even if behind the rest of the herd
If still open in December you have a long wait on your next calf
from these cows. If they have another.
If you have not sold this years calves, save back a couple
of heffers.

hillbilly

I agree with hillbilly.

By keeping cows that are behind the herd or open you are decreasing the fertility of your herd as a whole. Every cow that does not settle, if management practices are correct, should be culled; this will improve the fertility of your herd. Whatever you do, don't keep offspring from these cows, you will only be prolonging the problem.I don't care how good a cow is, if she don't calve how good is she?