Keep Her or Road Trip ???? added Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
MY favorite (best looking) Char Heifer (#91) finally had a calf today after waiting 5 months from when the others calved. I know she must have aborted her earlier calf, because I had done the blood test and she came back preg with all the others.

She had the calf with no trouble and took care of her baby and let the calf get milk right away.

The toughest decision for a small farm is to cull or not, if she was just an average looking cow, I would get her re-bred and ship her.

I may even get a picture this weekend and post it.

91A-2.jpg

91A-1.jpg

C HOLLAND":3vt06rv1 said:
AngusLimoX":3vt06rv1 said:
Keep the cow, fire your herd manager! :lol:

FINALLY a way to send the Wife on her way :lol: :lol:

I would keep her cows loose calfs part of the biz.
Your lucky she aborted early, much better than feeding newborns to buzzards, dogs. Haveing a stupid cow calf on the side of a pond bank and the calf sliding in and drowning.
I have lost them every kinda way you can think of.

This is alwasy one of the tough questions. There are those that say to cull anything that doesn;t wean a calf every year. I'm not one of them. Depends on the cow/heifer and her track record. We've carried a cow now and then over the winter because of one thing and another without them having weaned a calf the previous years.
We have one cow that I'm alwasy looking for an excuse to cull. When her calf is born she's goofy as can be and you can;t get within 200 yds of her or the calf. If she sees or hears you coming she gets the calf up and away they go. She also settles forst service, raises one of the top calves each year and isn;t goofy at any other time or any other way.

dun

dun":d344npxe said:
This is alwasy one of the tough questions. There are those that say to cull anything that doesn;t wean a calf every year. I'm not one of them. Depends on the cow/heifer and her track record. We've carried a cow now and then over the winter because of one thing and another without them having weaned a calf the previous years.
We have one cow that I'm alwasy looking for an excuse to cull. When her calf is born she's goofy as can be and you can;t get within 200 yds of her or the calf. If she sees or hears you coming she gets the calf up and away they go. She also settles forst service, raises one of the top calves each year and isn;t goofy at any other time or any other way.

dun

We all have our little quirks, dun... :p

Alice

AngusLimoX":jlreta1p said:
dun":jlreta1p said:
This is alwasy one of the tough questions. There are those that say to cull anything that doesn;t wean a calf every year. dun

Don't ya hate those big guys that make money on their cattle!! :lol:

A lot of time I think the don;t look at the business the right way. The right way being my way. It seems that a lot of the enjoyment that they thought they would get out of the business is gone. Other then putting up with the bosses crap, they might as well get a factory job.

dun

Sometimes I think if we are responsible, the smaller guys can manage the potential culls better than larger operations. And have more fun. :lol:

I think C H already knows that this cow is on thin ice. No more spittin one out before it's done and no late or open seasons. And that applies to any kept off her.

A L,,,you are right about thin ice, if she doesn't breed back and deliver a calf on time next year, she will probally be on her way out of here.

She did have a nice 70 lb bull calf though and she is a very good mama to her baby and she will let me handle her calf without any problem. I hope this was just a fluke with her losing her first calf.
Time will tell.

C HOLLAND":1k2inzel said:
A L,,,you are right about thin ice, if she doesn't breed back and deliver a calf on time next year, she will probally be on her way out of here.

She did have a nice 70 lb bull calf though and she is a very good mama to her baby and she will let me handle her calf without any problem. I hope this was just a fluke with her losing her first calf.
Time will tell.

What is her age?

Never mind. I reread the post, her 1st calf. I'm assuming a coming 3yr old.

I was out spraying fence lines this morning and 91 A was begging for his picture to be taken, I couldn't resist.

91A playing in feed trough as mama looks at cow birds in pasture.

IMAGE016.jpg

It looks like you have some good grass for them. I would at 21 to 30 days put a CIDR in the female and then follow the protocal for synching her then just turn her out to breed.

Last year I had three calve in late May early June The last one of these calved on the 14th of april this year. To me it was worth the time and money to move them up. Will try to move them up again this year.

Nice looking calf.

Latest posts