Keep her or ditch her?

Help Support CattleToday:

syork

Reaction score
I had big plans for this black angus x sim cross heifer. She is 14 months old weighs 800 pounds and I WAS going to wait till spring to breed her with my low weight Simm bull and the neighbors bull had other plans. :mad: The b@#$%^& went thru a rolling wire fence with 2 strands of wire hot that is. She was in heat I was trying to get her in the barn away from this bull I do not like him whatsoever. Hes a SIM x Char x Angus. But he throws huge calves. I dont see why they keep him. His last calf had to be pulled. He was a huge 85 pounder. Big chunky bull calf. This heifer she is a big framed heifer. Her mother was 1600 pounds. I dont know whether to take my chances and just be there when I mark the date which was yesterday till the due date and be there if i have to pull or just sell her? The market is so bad around here I would be giving her away. Can I just shoot the d@@m the bull instead? Me and his owner done had our words. I told him if i catch him back on my place again he better have his freezer ready i was gonna shoot the son of a you know what. Any opinions?

If you want to keep her wait about 2 weeks and give her a shot of lutalyse. Just make sure you can hold her when she comes back in heat.

Not sure I've ever heard of an 85 lb calf be classified as huge!? Of course, there are a few that have cinder block-like front shoulders! A heifer that has been developed properly should be able to calve that by herself and it sounds like yours is in good shape. She sounds like too good of an animal to give away at the sales barn with the current prices....so give her the shot of lutalyse or mark the calendar for Oct 1st.

No you can't shoot the bull, even though you feel like it; brand inspector told me that once, if you shoot him you have to replace him.
I'd give the heifer a shot of lute and keep an eye on her to make sure she does come back into heat. Also talk to your vet they might suggest something else.

Husbands grandfather had trouble with a neighbors bull. After several calls he went out with one of the boys with a horse and tractor, called the neighbor back and told him to come get his steer.
The next spring they lost over half of the first year heifers because of that bull.

Anytime you have a breeding you do not want - wait at least 1-2 weeks (check with vet) and give a lutalyse shot. She should come into heat 2-4 days after the shot - so be sure to keep her in barn if neighbor bull might come back. Also, sending a STEER home is great satisfaction! :)

First of all, calm down. Second, wait 2 weeks after she got bred like others have said, and everything will be fine. Might just have the calf a little later than you intented.

You must realize, if you have cattle, and a neighbor has cattle, odds are yours will be on him, and his will be on yours at some point. Life is too short and we probably have enough enemies and don't need our neighbor as one of them.

bandit80":7rpuu020 said:
First of all, calm down. Second, wait 2 weeks after she got bred like others have said, and everything will be fine. Might just have the calf a little later than you intented.

You must realize, if you have cattle, and a neighbor has cattle, odds are yours will be on him, and his will be on yours at some point. Life is too short and we probably have enough enemies and don't need our neighbor as one of them.

There you go. :nod:

Good neighbors are important and valuable in the countryside. Don't let a bull make bad relations.

I share a part of a fenceline with a very good neighbor who had a very aggressive rent a bull in his field adjoining my open cows, heifers and much younger bull.

Before both bulls arrived I looked at this sction of fence and saw nothing but trouble coming. The fence between our fields had also seen better days. I took a couple days and repaired the 5 wire fence as best I could. Fixed the gate. By the way pulling all the clips for a section and using "Gripples" to replace and tighten old barb wire can really make the job easier than it used to be. Straightened and repounded some of the old T posts, used new clips to refasten the old and some pieces of new barb wire. Rebraced the end posts.

But it was obvious this fence was not going to stop a bull in love.

Most importantly I securely mounted a very hot, nose height electric wire with 5" standoffs off of the old Tee posts on both sides of the old fence (with the neighbor's permission) before either bull got there.

There were quite few summer evenings with his bull bellowing and stomping alongside this section of fence. The old bull even dug a hole deep enough to expose the wire I had buried under the gate! I put up a slinky gate inside the regular gate to keep him from digging more of the wire up.

In the end I kept my cows as far from this shared section as possible and eventually the rent a bull moved on. I was surprised that even this aggressive a bull was controlled by a very hot wire.

A very hot wire(s) and some fence repair time may buy much better neighbor relations, even if you have to do it yourself. jmho.

I've heard it many times in the cattle biz.. good fences make good neighbors,..

we've sent pretty much anything other than a bull 6 feet down if it came on our place.. the one bull that came on our place once stayed for the entire breeding season... then once that was done he went back home.. wasn't all that bad a deal for us, not so good for the bull's owner, but he knew it was in our field and wouldn't come pick it up

Keeping a bull out of a pasture with cows in heat is one thing, keeping two mad bulls apart is another altogether.. I don't know if even hot wires would work.. maybe with a 3Joule fencer or something that knocks them flat, it would..

Thanks everyone for all the advice. There is a two hot wires very hot on his side of the fence but he dont pay no mind to it. I went out there the day he broke thru to see if the hot wire was on it was. I know about good fences equals good neighbors and all that. This guy is a troublemaker. Noone likes him. Hes got a smart mouth, lazy as heck, a no good for nothing, he has dogs that he lets run wild. One is buried 6 feet under next to the river. We told him countless times to keep his dogs off our property and he didnt listen. It was running chickens, killed 2 and finally started running newborn calves well that was his last day on earth. He has 2 more dogs now that might join him. I caught them over here sneaking around my chickens. I done gave him a warning on that. He has been trouble since the day he moved in. He dont need to have cattle since he has no clue to what hes doing. I will take your advice however on making him a steer. I got a nice headgate that will hold him. I will git dad to hold his feet and git my brother to do the slicing. :D He dont want to listen to nothing. I done called the animal control and they told me i had rights to do whatever since I politely told him to keep his animals home. I got the tools ready when he comes back over.

As for heifer. Two of the vets we had locally just up and moved out. We only have one animal vet and shes way overworked. I called her twice when I had a bad emergency and she never showed. She called and said there was only one of her and she was 2 hours awayat the time with a mare that had trouble birthing. She told me what to do over the phone and hope for the best. I called her about the shot havent heard from her she hasnt returned my calls. I will keep trying. Looks like Im gonna have to let her have the calf and hope for the very best. :help:

syork":2a09b0jr said:
Looks like Im gonna have to let her have the calf and hope for the very best. :help:

No, you don't have to. If you want to abort the calf it's as simple as getting your hands on 5cc of lutalyse. If that's important to you, you'll find a way.

SRBeef":zqpsg90p said:
Good neighbors are important and valuable in the countryside. Don't let a bull make bad relations.

A very hot wire(s) and some fence repair time may buy much better neighbor relations, even if you have to do it yourself. jmho.

I think the problem lies in the "relations" the bull made.

I agree that good neighbours is an invaluable asset to have, but sometimes you have a bad neighbour and there is nothing you can do about it. I have steered two bulls of that neighbour in the past and ever since his bulls stayed where they belonged. This same neighbour never fix a fence always the excuse that he doesn't have time or money.

cfpinz":1vc0ll43 said:
syork":1vc0ll43 said:
Looks like Im gonna have to let her have the calf and hope for the very best. :help:

No, you don't have to. If you want to abort the calf it's as simple as getting your hands on 5cc of lutalyse. If that's important to you, you'll find a way.
5cc's of Lutalyse will get it --- go ahead and give it to her now -- wont hurt a thing

good fences make for good nieghbors

T

4CTophand":10iqjs7f said:
cfpinz":10iqjs7f said:
syork":10iqjs7f said:

5cc's of Lutalyse will get it --- go ahead and give it to her now -- wont hurt a thing

T

Heifer was covered by the bull on the 28th, giving the Lutalyse now is a waste of money, you're right it wouldn't hurt a thing (except the cost of the Lutalyse), but it wouldn't do any good either.

Earliest date that the Lutalyse should be given is 4 January.

syork":1ule8rmt said:
I called her about the shot havent heard from her she hasnt returned my calls. I will keep trying. Looks like Im gonna have to let her have the calf and hope for the very best. :help:
If you have any dairys or an AI rep close by you may?should be able to get the shot from them.

KNERSIE":3dvoagaa said:
4CTophand":3dvoagaa said:

T

Heifer was covered by the bull on the 28th, giving the Lutalyse now is a waste of money, you're right it wouldn't hurt a thing (except the cost of the Lutalyse), but it wouldn't do any good either.

Earliest date that the Lutalyse should be given is 4 January.

Google must not have covered that part of the lesson.

Latest posts