keep giving the wisdom

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i just found this web page the other day and i have got hooked. i keep taking all the ideas and hope to get even more on this message. i am really feeling the idea of having commercial brangus and beefmasters cows and breeding them with a sim bull. anyone with any better ideas for a farmer in central ky. my only problem with this is that i may not be able to make up enough weight in my calfs to over come the hatred on there ears. i also fear that these cows may be to big for my place and eat me out of house and home.

just buy the number of cows your land can hold and forget the bull, it will be better to A.I. your cows

> i just found this web page the
> other day and i have got hooked. i
> keep taking all the ideas and hope
> to get even more on this message.
> i am really feeling the idea of
> having commercial brangus and
> beefmasters cows and breeding them
> with a sim bull. anyone with any
> better ideas for a farmer in
> central ky. my only problem with
> this is that i may not be able to
> make up enough weight in my calfs
> to over come the hatred on there
> ears. i also fear that these cows
> may be to big for my place and eat
> me out of house and home.

[email protected]

> just buy the number of cows your
> land can hold and forget the bull,
> it will be better to A.I. your
> cows [ i agree with what you are saying but that is the reason i sold my regestered beefmasters because with me working the railroad i have crazy hours and not able to keep a close eye on them like need be. do you feel that a bull will really eat that much or take that much more pasture or hay.

your calves will be 1/4 brahman if you use beefmasterXsimmental or 3/16 brahman if you use brangusxsimmental. thats really not all that much ear. generally buyers want less than 1/4 ear. however if you use a long black bull you should come out ok not to mention that your heifers from either cross should be so great that they would make up for any discount on steers. ANOTHER thing that gets discounted here is a rat tail. that usually results from some cross with angus or brangus and simmental or charolais. so that might be another thing you take into account.

> your calves will be 1/4 brahman if
> you use beefmasterXsimmental or
> 3/16 brahman if you use
> brangusxsimmental. thats really
> not all that much ear. generally
> buyers want less than 1/4 ear.
> however if you use a long black
> bull you should come out ok not to
> mention that your heifers from
> either cross should be so great
> that they would make up for any
> discount on steers. ANOTHER thing
> that gets discounted here is a rat
> tail. that usually results from
> some cross with angus or brangus
> and simmental or charolais. so
> that might be another thing you
> take into account. [ i guess i'm not that smart so tell me what rat tail is. do you think this would be a good rought for me to take

>if you use a simmental bull get a black one, calves will sell better, beefmaster and brangus cows are both very good cows, what "beefy" was referring to about rattail calves is if you cross a black cow/bull with a yellow cow/bull there is a chance you may get a "rattail calf" the calf has a short tail, no hair to speak of, the rest of the hair on the calfs body is very short, usualy curly, and kind of smutty colored. i have 2 on the ground right now, less than a month old, the bull was brangus and both cows are yellow, one a charlois and the othr part simmental, it has something to do with the genes, i asked this same question a while back and "dunmovin" referred me to go to GOOGLE and search rattail calves, it will explain it better than i can

[email protected]

thanks for the input what is the best way to find commercial beefmasters and brangus. what breed do you use.

talk to some reputable people around your auction barns, stay away from cow traders. in the registered beefmaster business, the very best are " U " classified, sometimes you can find some people whose heifers didn't quie make the " U " grade you can pick up reasonably, our cows are tiger stripes, brangus, charlois cross, simmental, brangus/hereford cross, and some just plain old crosses of various breeds. bulls are brangus, angus, (both black) black limosein and charlois. last year i had a beefmaster bull, the beefmaster cross calves outweighed the other calves except the charlois calves averaged about 8 cents a pound more and the black calves averaged about 10 cents more per pound when all calves were taken to market. black calves averaged bringing the most money followed by charlois calves and then beefmaster calves. brangus and tigerstripe cows calves seemed to have the best selling calves.

[email protected]

> thanks for the input what is the
> best way to find commercial
> beefmasters and brangus. what
> breed do you use.

Travis, don't get hung up on buying purebred Brangus or Beefmaster females if you are raising commercial cattle. Research shows that good F1 crossbred cows will outperform their purebred herdmates due to hybrid vigor. Not only will they wean heavier calves but on average they will stay in the herd for 1.3 years longer than the purebreds.

I encourage you to contact the Beefmaster and Brangus association and tell them what type of females you are looking for. Many breed associations have a list of commercial females for sale that consists of at least 1/2 of their breed's genetics. If they don't have such a listing, they should at least be able to provide you with the names of breeders in KY and then you can ask them which of their customers may have good halfblood replacement females for sale.

Also, oftentimes fancy, yearling bred heifers sell for significantly more than 4+ year old bred cows. I am a firm believer in buying older cows, because they are proven performers, you can see how well their udders look, and their should be minimal calving problems.

Latest posts