KCF BENNETT COALITION??????

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1mrqbniv said:
lakading":1mrqbniv said:
Besides, there's not that much diff between an .85 and a .90 in lbs.

Differences in accuracies have nothing to do with lbs. The accuracy number simply indicates the statistical probability that progeny from that bull will be +X lbs bigger at birth, weaning, yearling, etc. than progeny from a bull with a 0 EPD for those traits.

The differences in the statistical probabilities are the "Possible Change Values" which are definitely expressed in pounds.

True. My point was just that the .85 has a 5% more chance of being off from the EPD. The number of pounds off is irrelevant because you cannot predict that anyway since the standard deviations are based on the EPDs and not on the accuracies.

Origen was formed by Summitcrest, Stevenson Basin, Sydenstrickers, Three Trees, and Dick Beck (there may be some others). They are not owned with ABS but they do have an affliation with them. I think it is like a no compete clause, you wont see any of their bulls in Genex, Select Sires (Gardiner Semen Service), or any of the other major Semen Companies. I dont know anymore than I have read in the Origen Catalog, sorry I dont have any dirt.

I was at a sale this fall and saw a six year old cow with a bull calf out of him that I bid on. The bull calf was waaaay above average, but the pricing got way above average too. He was beautiful and would like to have had the pair.

Well, it looks like my concern/interest was for not. I bought a "bred" cow @ the edwards dispersal and she's come up open. That's the risk you take @ a dispersal sale. oh well,............

If you want that much growth, why not buy a Simmental?

Hell, that's all he is anyway.

mtnman

Origen also had Leachman Cattle Company at the beginning. I liked your thoughts on Select Sires - Should not forget Wehrmenn when talking of Select WG Sires!

EPD's are they really the most accurate tool we have?

We are told this, but being the devil's advocate we are only repeating what has been drilled into our head.

I would love to have someone explain to me why they can prove that EPD's are a useful tool.

It doesn't make any sense that at .85 accuracy it's really not accurate at all.

Latest posts